We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Close to T line for family

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
W. Suburb Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Close to T line for family

Thanks in advance to all. Doing a driving trip of New England in June. Planning on visiting Boston for a couple of days but where to stay? 3 middle school age kids plus grandma (shes a youngster) so we would most likely need 2 rooms. I've looked at VRBO but most want a week rental. Any guidance would be appeciated.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

There's an Amersuites Hotel in Medford, just north of the city, that offers free parking and a shuttle to a subway station. Seems like that would fill your needs. …hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/place/index.jsp

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

The Amerisuites is actually a Hyatt Place now and was recently completely done over. If you stayed there with a car, you wouldn't necessarily need to rely on the shuttle to get to the subway, you could drive and park at Wellington Station yourself. It's about 10 minutes away.

Other suites hotels that might work for you that are in town within walking distance to subway are the Marriott at Tudor Wharf. The John Jeffries House.

W. Suburb Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

Thanks for the help. I assume one pays for parking at the Wellington Station.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

Yes, you pay to park at Wellington, but it's not expensive. I think the outdoor lots are $5/day.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

Yes, there is an open lot and a garage at Wellington. Supposedly the garage does not fill up for morning rush hour, but I can't verify that.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

I can't speak for the garage, but I know from personal experience the lots have never been full when I needed them, even late in the morning. The T's website says that on week days there's 10% availability. In addition to the "official" T parking (accounted for on the website) there are private lots so that's why there's always availability.

Interesting .... not that it applies to this post, but Alewife on the red line and Beachmont on the Blue line USED to fill up, now they are showing weekday availability at 10% and 30% respectively ... is that saying something about our economy? The blue line's Wonderland stop and Red line's Braintree stop are still showing less than 1% weekday availability. Thing about the Wonderland stop is that there is usually plenty of parking available at private lots ...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

With 3 kids and Grandma along for the trip, you might also want to consider staying in downtown Boston or the Back Bay, where you will have much more flexibility to come & go from the hotel, and/or for different members of the family to do their own thing for part of the day, compared to staying in the suburbs and commuting in. That's just my personal view, but I also think you will find Boston more enjoyable that way and will get a little bit more of the historic feel of the city.

Almost any hotel in the downtown area will be near a T station, allowing you to get around easily, though many of the main tourist sites are within walking distance, too. Check the hotel reviews here on Trip Advisor and some of the specials and discounts that have been mentioned -- you may find a good deal, and you can always come back to this forum for more specifics once you've got a short list.

Since you're driving in, you will need to factor in the cost of parking, but there are always some inexpensive options (e.g. at Alewife station).

W. Suburb Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

Massachusetts_Member

Thanks for the tip, but a quick perusal of downtown Boston hotels and I found the $ to be around $300 and up. I don't of any places in which we could fit in one room. One of our trip goals is to check out the Ivy League schools so of course Harvard is part of the agenda. But of course thats why I am here, you guys know Boston much better than me and the guidebooks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

You wanted to sleep 6 people in one room? First, I don't think any hotel would allow that. And secondly, how uncomfortable and awkward that would be even if it were possible. I can't envision how anybody could make that work.

Edited: 29 January 2010, 00:19
Noepe
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Close to T line for family

South of the city, the Marriott in Quincy is very close to the Quincy Adams T station (and an easy drive into the city on off-peak hours). It's built on old quarry land, surrounded by an office park and the highway interchanges, but has great distant views. The other hotels very close by in Braintree look just as easy, but in fact require dealing with a notoriously congested interchange to get to the T. If driving into the city from there, you could go straight south on Granite Street to a closer on-ramp that avoids that mess.

Further south, Rockland has a number of chain hotels. It's an ugly strip of road, but has all the essentials as is an easy on/off the expressway.

Hope the family enjoys the vacation!