We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beer selection in Boston

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
290 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Best beer selection in Boston

Hi guys,

Real simple question. Where in Boston can I find a pub with the biggest selection of beers? To be more specific, in the downtown / waterfront / back bay areas of the city (also Cambridge).

Also my partner has developed a real taste for American cider and we were wondering wherethe best places to have a few samplers might be (if different from the other pubs you can suggest).

Thankyou

Beau

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Real simple answer. It's not in the Downtown, Waterfront, Back Bay or Cambridge.

Head to Allston and pay Sunset Tap a visit. You can get there by the T or a quick taxi ride.

112 beers on tap with another 400 in the bottle. It is Ground Zero in Boston for beer aficionados. Plenty of ciders to choose from as well. I read somewhere that the Sunset has more beers available than any other drinking establishment east of the Mississippi River.

The bartenders are mostly students from Boston University, but they REALLY know their beers.

Have fun if you decide to go. It's worth the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

For craft beer, I'd check out Lord Hobo in Cambridge--it's got one of the best lineups around.

http://lordhobo.com/

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Don't be put off by the Allston location. It's the Boston neighborhood that most college kids reside but it's very easy to get to by public transportation.

http://www.allstonsfinest.com/

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Deep Ellum (also in Allston) is another good beer bar.

Allston is definitely easy to get to by the T (and an interesting neighborhood for eating, if you're interested in getting off the beaten path) but it is a very young, college neighborhood, which might not be for everyone.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Bukowski's Tavern on Dalton Steet in Back Bay and The Other Side on Newbury Street have great beer selections and are within walking distance from each other.

Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
443 Reviews
Boston, MA
Newbury Street
Newbury Street
2,162 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Jacob Wirth (Jakes) is another good one. It's on Stuart Street in the Theatre District. Pretty good German food and some 25-30 beers on tap. If possible, go on a Friday night for their sing-a-longs. Lots of laughs and lots of fun!

http://www.jacobwirth.com/

Mentioned in this post
Jacob Wirth Restaurant
Jacob Wirth Restaurant
593 Reviews
Boston, MA
East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
290 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Alright, Allston`s sounding good. Have checked out thier website and definately the sort of thing. Its always good to get off the beaten track to a certain degree.

Thanks again

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Another vote for Allston!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Well, actually, the Publick House in Brookline has the best beer selection.

Lord Hobo is also serving a lot of good beers, not far from Kendall Square in Cambridge.

I would (and do) go to these places long before I will set foot in Sunset Tap, which is all about quantity, not quality.

Bukowski's is also good, as is Redbone's in Somerville.

Mentioned in this post
Brookline
Brookline
Massachusetts
Kendall Square
Kendall Square
52 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Somerville
Somerville
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beer selection in Boston

Agree with everything said so far but there is also the Parish Cafe in the Back Bay (Boylston between Arlington and Berkeley). They have 75 different beers or more. Cornwall's in Kenmore Square also has a large selection as I recall. If you want to go to pubs that brew their own, try Boston Beer Works (Kenmore & North Station locations) and John Harvard's Brew House House in Harvard Square.

Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
443 Reviews
Boston, MA
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Kenmore Square
Kenmore Square
21 Reviews
Boston, MA