We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Earth
Level Contributor
25 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

First trip to Boston. After reading the suggested articles, I still have questions. Focal point will be going to BC for a sporting event--a very short weekend--and to squeeze as much in. Looking at staying at the airport, downtown, or as close to BC as possible.

1. Estimated cost of airport transportation to/from BC (taxi, shared van)? How much time could this save off the T?

2. Looking possibly at a hotel in Newton 2m from BC campus. Would that area be safe to walk to/from?

3. Alternate suggestions?

Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

Guesses only...Cost about $55 plus for taxi Logan to BC taking about 30 or more minutes. Public Transportation is at least double that time and then add on walking time to the particular part of campus you are going to.

Newton is a very safe area. What hotel are you looking at?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

Where are your sporting events and in Newton will you be near public transportation? And will that public transportation take you directly to the BC campus or will you need to make several changes?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

I ge the impression you plan on walking from your hotel to BC. While Newton is a safe city, the street pattern all around Boston is rather confusing. The rumor is we took all the cows in the city, let them go, and wherever they went we put the streets. I think that walking two miles will probably get you totally confused. By the time you figure out a reasonable route, you'll be going home. Bear in mind, I'm saying this without any clue of where specifically you are staying, but this is a caution for you. If you're only going for one event, I would plan on a taxi or the T.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

Do you have to go directly to BC from the airport? If so, taxi would be much quicker than the T. He would just go throught the Ted Willilams tunnel from the airport and bomb up the Pike. It's not too far, but is likely to be in the $50 range. Unfortunately, although the Green Line B branch goes right to BC, it is a very slow line.

I would recommend staying downtown, probably Back Bay since it will put you a little closer to BC. You could take the Green Line there for your event. Being downtown will make it easy for you to see and do more when you are not at your event.

And yes, Newton is a well-to-do suburb and is very safe.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

One thing you could do is look up which branch of the subway goes to the B.C. campus. I should know this, but am not sure -- is it the "C" line of the Green Line, people? We call our subway system "MBTA" or Google "Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority" and it will take you to the right website. Then you could consider staying anywhere along that same train route, for getting back and forth. While it is true that the Green Line of the subway can be slow at times, it really isn't that bad and all Green Line trains go through Back Bay and Downtown Boston. So let's say you stay in a Back Bay hotel -- you'll be close to a lot of the things tourists like to see, lots of restaurants and closer to the historic sights -- then hop on the CORRECT Green Line train when you are going to the event at B.C. All Green Line trains are not alike! The lines are B, C, D. and E. What happened to "A"? Long story. But I think this Green Line plan would work fine and get you closer to lots of good stuff.

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

I agree about lodging. You may want to find a hotel in downtown Boston and take the t to your event. Newton is too far to stay without a car. If you don't have lots of luggage, you may want to take public transportation, here known as the 't' from the airport. The 't' is easily learnable - i.s. the stop at the Logon is know as Airport. much less $ than a cab, but also means carrying your luggage with you.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

MaxieLu and dfbf: The 'B' branch of the Green Line goes to BC, which is the last stop. (The 'C' branch terminates at Cleveland Circle in the Brighton section of Boston.)

Boston
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

Yes, the B line to BC. It will be pretty hard to screw that up since the terminus of that line is the BC stop and the cars all say "Boston College" on them.

Boston
Level Contributor
624 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

If you can get a room try the Indigo it's on the other side of Newton but right near a T stop.

There are no hotels within 2 miles of BC.

10. Re: Quick Questions for 1st time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 05:17