We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

We are staying in Cambridge and will have a car. I know it is resturant week and would like to take advantage of this 2 or 3 nights. I just don't know where. So if you have any ideas please let me know also if you have any ideas of things to do at night (my daughter isn't old enough for bars) after we return from looking at schools and eating dinner. Or anything to stop and see on the way back into Cambridge each night.I like to go, go, go from 5am- 12pm on vacation. I'll sleep for free at home. So the more stuff the better! Thanks!

23- Brown

24- Dartmouth

25- Amherst (is it worth the money to stop at Sturbridge Village from 2-4pm)

26-Harvard

27- Freedom Trail

28- Salem/ Concord

29- Boston College

30-going home :(

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

Dumb question ... do you have free or low cost lodging in cambridge? Otherwise I'd suggest a "road trip" ... it doesn't make much sense to base yourself in Cambridge and drive and back and forth when you could sort of make a 'loop' .... possibly find less expensive lodging, etc.

I don't think 2 hours does Sturbridge Village justice ,.. but if you went frojm Brown to Amherst and had an early appointment, you might have more time to spend there..

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

I was kind of feeling the same thing. Lump together Harvard, The Freedom Trail, and Boston College for your Boston stay. Perhaps you might wish to ad a "safety" school like Tufts while your are here. Or Williams while you are in the Western part of Massachusetts.

In the Boston part, one evening you can spend in Harvard Square. The Museum of Fine Arts is open Wednesday through Friday until 9:45. You can catch a show or concert - for ideas see http://www.artsboston.org/. While you are doing your "Southern Route" to Brown, you could spend an evening or do your overnight in Newport. And if you haven;t been, Sturbridge village is worth a look-see from a historical perspective. I would try to add an hour or two there, though.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 09:42
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

I got a great deal on expedia for the room in cambridge and flight (non stop from Ca). I couldn't pass it up. I was originally going to do a loop and include Cornell but the total room price was 2x's more. So I figured we do Tahoe in a day once a week and thats 180 miles away so this was doable. And there is more to see in the evenings in Boston than other areas of NE. I hope I made the correct decision. And I really want to take addvantage of resturant week. Any must eat at places for such a great price that would normally be outrageous?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

As far as things to do at night, I suggest you look at the website artsboston.org. There is a theater district in Boston, but really there is theater scattered in a number of areas, including Cambridge. The American Repertory Theater has been doing interesting stuff this year, it's right in Harvard Square. But there are dozens and dozens of concerts in Boston on any given night. If you felt like it, check out the schedule for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, if you like that kind of thing. There are many other performers, and some jazz clubs, and rock, and on and on. One of the two best known jazz clubs is in the Charles Hotel, in Harvard Square (the club is called the Regatta Bar). So some entertainment is available right where you are staying. Also, check out the Passim Club in Harvard Square -- passimclub.org. About the restaurants, it's hard to advise you without some guidelines on what you like, but here are two ideas for you: (1) check out one of my faves, again right in Harvard Square, namely "Upstairs on the Square". It has two levels, the lower level "Monday Club" is more casual, and the top level is fancier. (2) Go to the Boston board of Chowhound.com where they obsess over Restaurant Week, although it might be a tad early right now, I'm not sure.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

Thanks. So we got symphony tickets for Saturday night. We are going to the science museum on Friday night and Fine Art on Wed. The other places sound great for me but will they allow my teen daughter. I checked out the resturant "upstairs" and during resturant week they are charging $43pp instead of $33pp but it sounds nice. I watched alot of youtube last night about boston dining and everyplace had a huge line! I have never stood in line to eat before and we live outside of San Francisco. My daughter wants to go to Bartley's Burgers for lunch. I love little hole in the walls with great inexpensive food. I read somewhere (but can't find it now) that there is a Japanse place that has all types of Japenesse food vendors. Do You know what it is called? In Point Reyes we have Oyster Places that sell them to you by the bag and have bbqs you can use to cook them (they sell charcoal if u need it). Are there clam or oyster places along the coast out there that do this?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

Unfortunately, Restaurant Week draws enough lines that some of us locals actually go into retreat. However, more middle-of-the-road restaurants and pubs will feel the effects. Mr Bartley's almost always has a line, but it's well worth it!

The Japanese "Mall" is called the Porter Exchange Building at 1815 Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

Your daughter should be fine in the jazz clubs. She just won't be able to get a drink!

Another evening activity to consider is Blue Man Group. Half-price tickets are almost always available via Bostix on the day of the show.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

Actually, there really aren't lines at most places for Restaurant Week--you need a reservation. I am kinda over RW; it's a bit like going out to dinner on Valentines Day or New Years Eve--you just aren't going to get the best representation of a restaurant. This isn't to say all places do a bad job or that a good meal is impossible to find, but....I would adjust expectations accordingly

I am guessing the footage you saw was of the North End? This is a neighborhood that's popular with locals, out-of-towners and tourists, with many small restaurants that both lack bars for people to wait in and don't take reservations. Hence, lines. I wouldn't say it's the norm for most of the city, though.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

opentable.com is a good place to peruse restaurant choices and make reservations. It's not 100% inclusive, but I would say that most if not all of the most notable restaurants are on there. As the time gets closer, there will be details on RW specials, too.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Boston March 23-30 Any Ideas?

Since you will be in Cambridge, I will mention that the least disappointing RW meal I have had was at Harvest, the restaurant in Harvard Square. They do lunch and dinner. It's a special (somewhat expensive) restaurant, but this could be a good deal especially at lunch.