We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston on st patricks day

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Boston on st patricks day

Myself and my sister are going to be in boston for one week. We are away over st patricks day and are trying to decide if new york would be a better place to be on this date?

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston on st patricks day

Actually you could attend both yet I myself would head to New York City in a heart beat on St. Patrick's Day for theres as it's a grander parade that they put on than the one in Southie! The NYC parade starts at 11 AM and doesn't end until 4:30 or 5 PM. The Annual St. Patrick's Day parade being held the Sunday before in South Boston starts at 1 PM and ends a few hours later with sporatic starts and stops thru it. Head to NYC for theres, it would be one parade you'll never forget, NO doubt about it:

The annual parade down Fifth Avenue to honor the patron saint of Ireland is a New York tradition that dates as far back as 1766. The festivities kick off at 44th Street and Fifth Avenue at 11:00 am on March 17th, with bagpipers, high school bands, and the ever-present politicians making their way up Fifth Avenue to 86th Street, where the parade will probably finish around 4:30 or 5:00 pm.

The best viewing spots are toward the north end of the parade route, away from the shopping and work-a-day crowds that throng the sidewalks below 59th Street. Try sitting on the upper steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a great view or catching a close-up view of the marchers where the parade turns east on 86th Street.

The New York Convention & Visitors Bureau says that the St. Patrick's Day Parade is the largest and most famous of the many parades held in the city each year.

Colonial New York City hosted the first official St. Patrick's Day parade in 1762, when Irish immigrants in the British colonial army marched down city streets. In subsequent years Irish fraternal organizations also held processions to St. Patrick's Cathedral. The various groups merged sometime around 1850 to form a single, grand parade.

The parade marches up 5th Avenue, from 44th to 86th streets starting at 11am on St. Patrick's Day March 17th. It will probably be televised on NBC.

You can actually read about both parades here:

saintpatricksdayparade.com/nyc/newyorkcity.h…

Edited: 18 February 2010, 13:29
2. Re: Boston on st patricks day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 06:20