We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What day for Providence?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What day for Providence?

Hello, we are visiting Boston at the end of May, we arrive Thursday lunchtimeish and leave the following Tuesday evening.

We are planning on driving to Providence for a day, and visit the wrentham outlets, but are not too sure what day would be best to do this.

We are initially thinking of the Saturday as I would think that the roads may be quieter on a Saturday, but this may be wrong. We know that the outlet mall will be busier on a Saturday, but we are quite regimented on what we want there that that should not be too much of a problem. Our concern is will we be missing a good day to be in Boston as tourists, I know there is never a bad day in Boston, but are there things on only on a Saturday. I appreciate that "things on" is vague, but are there museums or shows on only on a Saturday.

Our only other thoughts are that we will be doing some shopping when in Boston, unless the dollar gets far too strong although things will still be cheaper over there, and we do not want to buy a lot of clothes then find them at wrentham a lot cheaper. This was another reason to do the trip early in the visit.

If somebody thinks that we should do this trip another day please advise, all suggestions are welcome.

I hope this all makes sense to somebody.

Mick

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What day for Providence?

There is absolutely no question in my mind which day you should go to the outlets- The day it is raining. Chances are that one of the days you visit will be better for shopping than touring.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What day for Providence?

Now you have me worried, surely it will not rain in May, lol.

Mick

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What day for Providence?

Why you have never seen rain in the UK? Sorry, didn't mean to add to the stress!! :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What day for Providence?

Actually Saturday or Sunday may be your best bet. You won't need to worry about commuter traffic although the Mall may be a bit more crowded.

Some venues on the Freedom trail are not readily accesible on Sundays (because they are active churhes) and on stop, the State House isn't open on weekends at all ... I'm not sure about others.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What day for Providence?

When at the end of May are you coming? Memorial Day is 5/31, unofficially the beginning of summer around here. It is a long weekend and on Saturday traffic could be heavy with people getting out of town. If that is the weekend you are here Sunday would be the better choice.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What day for Providence?

We are coming the weekend before Memorial Day, hopefully there will be some pre Memorial Day sales!!

Mick

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What day for Providence?

I know I'm in the minority here, but the Outlets will be less busy during the week. If you can avoid Rush Hour traffic (7 to 9:30 AM and 4 to 7 PM), during the week should be a much better choice. And how does Povidence fit into this? It's not where the Oulet Malls are located.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What day for Providence?

Hello Alanm, the Wrentham outlets are not far from the I95 looking at mapquest, is this not correct or is it a very long detour?.

Providence comes into it as we fancied having a drive out, it would put RI on out list of states visited and it seems like a nice place.

Mick

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What day for Providence?

Well, you're right. If you have to go to Rhode Island, you'll be very close there. If you had more time, I would suggest Newport over Providence, but it is a further distance and they're both in R.I., so notch it up!

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What day for Providence?

Hi, looking on google maps it says Newport is only 43 minutes from Providence, or just over an hour from Wrentham and then just over an hour back to Boston.

Will the drive to Newport, from Boston, be more interesting than the drive to Providence, I have been told that the drive to Providence is all highway and not very interesting. if it is, we can leave around 7:30 - 8:00am and be in Newport for say 9:30ish allowing for traffic. Then we could drive to Wrentham in the afternoon and get back to Boston in the evening. Longish day but easily doable.

Mick