We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new england sept 10

england
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
new england sept 10

hi can anyone tell me if you can do a round trip of boston,salem, concord, lincoln,conway,portland, portsmouth back to boston on the train and bus ?? if so any ideas on the passes thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new england sept 10

I don't think so ... at least not easily.

You can take a train to Salem. Then take the train back to Boston and go out to Concord. But the train in concord doesn't stop near all the tourist attractions and there's not a lot of public transportation in the immdiate vicinity. Ditto Lincoln.

To get to salem, concord and lincoln, you need to take commuter rail from North Station ... see www.mbta.com. Salem is on the Rockport line, Concord and Lincoln are on the Fitchburg line.

The Amtrak Downeaster also departs from North Station and goes to Portland Maine making several stops along the way, including coastal NH, but there are no trains to north western part of NH, such as Conway.

To get to Conway you'd need to take a bus. It seems there is a bus from Portland to Conway ... but I'm not familiar with it. newenglandtravelplanner.com/go/…bus.html

And again, once you get to Conway ... there's not lots of transportation to get you between local points of interest.

You may want to consider renting a car. Although those of us on Boston are very supportive of public transportation, insisting you don't need a car in Boston ... outside of the city it is convenient to have a car ....

Boston
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new england sept 10

While you can pretty easily get to some of these places by train or bus from Boston, I think going between them without a car would be some sort of logistical nightmare. And, as Forgot points out, once you get to some of these places it's hard or impossible to get around without a car.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new england sept 10

You mention Concord and Lincoln . . . but I am wondering if you mean Lexington rather than Lincoln? Lincoln is a beautiful rural town, but Lexington is the one that has a lot of the history. People often group Concord and Lexington together, when speaking about them or visiting them. Unfortunately those of us who live here don't usually know much about the bus tours, but there must be some bus tour companies that take people to some of these spots. Especially in the fall (September). I do suggest you look at a map and notice where these different places are. It may be that you have to visit them in several groups. There is a train service from Boston that goes to Portland Maine and I will bet it also stops in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. However the timing might be awkward for you to get off the train for a few hours then get back on to go farther, and do all of this in one day. For train information, go to the Amtrak website. But you can definitely do most of the things you mention, using train or bus. I am sure you don't think you would visit all of these in one day -- any idea where you'd like to stay overnight?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new england sept 10

Downeaster Amtrak train to Portland doesn't go to Portsmouth.

Edited: 03 March 2010, 20:59
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new england sept 10

OOOPS ..editing cuz I posted in the wrong place. Please ignore me!

Edited: 03 March 2010, 21:17
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new england sept 10

Downeaster doesn't go to Portsmouth but does go to Durham which is 15 minutes form Portsmouth. But, Wildcat transit at UNH does go to Portsmouth and is open to the Public.

www.unh.edu/transportation/wildcat/index.htm

This creates a nearly seamless trip to Portsmouth.

england
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: new england sept 10

hi we re looking to stay 2 to 3 nights in each place as we re there for 3 weeks thats why we thought get to each place by rail or bus then hire a car in the places that don t have much local transport !!

8. Re: new england sept 10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2010, 06:17