We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

I am travelling to Boston with my 12 year old daughter. We'd like to focus our time on touring historical sites and will spend little time in our hotel. We will have no car, so need to be close to a T station. Could you recommend a hotel that is not too expensive, clean and safe, and near public transportation? Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

Here we go again. Exactly what is "not too expensive"?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

What constitutes "not too expensive"? It may be that you can find something in Boston for that price. Also when are you travelling?

Two options are the John Jeffries House in Beacon Hill, and the Midtown Hotel in the Back Bay. Both are actually in the city, and would be great locations for you.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

Sorry for the vague and subjective "not too expensive" descriptor. Let's try again: under $125.

I am thinking for this price I should stay outside the city. I've looked at some reviews, but it's hard for me to tell how close they are to a T station; and even when I check a map to see how close, it is difficult to tell if it's safely walkable or not.

Thanks for the recommendation, BeanTown man. I'll check them out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

When are you and daughter planning on coming, Sue?

If you are certain of the dates and certain you will be coming, then Hotwire is a great website for finding some great deals on hotels IN the city. I would be more than happy to look at what's available and determine what hotel it is, and make sure the nearest T station is safely walkable. But if we can get you in a good location IN the city then you can reply more on your feet and less on the T.

And if you can't go the Hotwire route then give me at least the month, and I'll check a few places and also keep my eye out for deals IN the city.

If you've never traveled to Boston before, it's really a very walkable city...and quite safe as well.

Will

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

There is a Holiday Inn on Beacon Street in Brookline MA that is right on the Street Car/Subway line and is in a very nice neighborhood. There are great bakeries, restaurants, etc in the area. And, it is only a short ride to the heart of Boston.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60823-d94238-R…

You might also check with the College Club in Boston. They have a few rooms and are open to non-members. It would be a perfect location but might be a bit more expensive.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60745-d280420-…

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

You might also check:

Hyatt Place, Medford (hotel has shuttle buses to Wellington and Davis T-stations)

Courtyard Marriotts in Brookline (Green Line trolley) and Cambridge (longish but doable walk to T at Central Square and BU-West)

Hotel Indigo in Newton (near Riverside)

Waltham...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

The Courtyard Marriott Cambridge is actually in Kendall Square, a very short walk to the Kendall/MIT stop on the Red Line. You can pick up trolley tours in Kendall. And if you enjoy walking, you can walk over the Longfellow Bridge (good photo ops) which spits you out at the foot of Beacon Hill/Charles Street.

I peeked at the Marriott site and saw a rate of $159, which is a little more than you are looking to pay, but it might be worth it. Also, you might be able to get a better deal going through Priceline or some other site. Good luck and have a great trip!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

The Quincy Marriott is also a good choice with free shuttle service to public transportation.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

justjen, are you sure there's a Courtyard Marriott in Kendall Square? There is a regular Marriott there. There is a Courtyard Marriott on Memorial Drive Cambridge next to the Trader Joe's.

Boston...
Level Contributor
414 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel recommendation outside Boston near the T

I agree with Cabinet and was going to post the same thing. The regular Marriott is in Kendall (and would likely be way too expensive unless they got a great Hotwire deal) but the Courtyard by Marriott is on Memorial Drive, naer to microcenter etc. I think it used to be a Renaissance, then had a major renovation & reopened as the Courtyard Marriott.