We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak vs Bus?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak vs Bus?

Hi there,

I am visiting Boston next week from London and am travelling from Boston to NYC the week after. I have read a few reviews on here that states taht Amtrak is not the greatest choice to make?

i.e. -

'why would you chose Amtrak over the bus, it's more aggrevating and longer' etc etc

I am a bit confused, as the travel times are the same (approx 4.5 hours) it's just the price that is very different (or am I missing something)

Can you please advise why there might be an issue using Amtrak?

Thank you HUGELY

MJ

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak vs Bus?

I mostly look at it as a matter of economics. The bus is cheaper. Here's one link that discusses train vs. bus travel. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k305300…

boston, ma
Level Contributor
994 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak vs Bus?

Amtrak is more comfortable, slightly faster, and rather more expensive than the bus. If you like to watch the scenery, Amtrak is much more interesting. On the bus you will see over four hours of limited access highway.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak vs Bus?

A lot of people just love the bus and the fact that you can get to NYC for as little as $10 or $20, often with decent seats and wi-fi.

I certainly understand that, but I still prefer the train if the fare difference isn't too big -- I've had very good luck with on-time reliability, especially in the southbound direction, and I just think it is a more civilized experience. The seats are more comfortable and you have the option of getting up and going to the bar car. You also don't have to worry about whether your trip coincides with rush hour. That said, if you are traveling at a truly off-peak time (e.g. late night) the bus can actually be a bit faster.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak vs Bus?

It's the price that is very different. Also, busses have to deal with road traffic, trains don't.

The time of day you travel makes a huge difference. I caught Bolt bus to NY last April on a weekday morning 7:30 .... it took about 4hrs and 20 minutes to get there. I caught a bus home at 2:30 on a sunday and it took closer to 6 hours to get home.

Here's some other discussion including my description of my experience.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k273218…

We are making a similar trip this year, only leaving on a Saturday morning and returning on a Wednesday afternoon. We haven't finalized our travel arrangements yet, but most likely we'll take the bus early Saturday TO NY to save money and take the train home, in the afternoon mid-week to save our sanity!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak vs Bus?

Last time we took the BOLT bus, on a Sunday with little traffic, we arrived in a surprising 3.5 hours.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak vs Bus?

The last time I took the bus from NYC I left midtown at 6pm on a weeknight with no traffic and got to South Station in 3.5 hours. I was stunned.

I agree with everyone else that the train offers more comfort, while the bus is much, much cheaper. When I'm feeling flush I take the train but it's usually the bus for me.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,883 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak vs Bus?

If you want to save money take the bus you have a few choices,Peter Pan ,Greyhound and its sister Bolt Bus,they all leave from South Station as does Amtrak.

8. Re: Amtrak vs Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 06:15