We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to walk around Back Bay at ~10pm at night

Hong Kong
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Safe to walk around Back Bay at ~10pm at night

Hi.

I'll be travelling to Boston next week arriving at the airport at around 9pm. I'll be lodging at the Chandler's Inn and I wonder whether I should take a taxi (that would cost me around 40 USD including tips) or take the T and walk to Chandler's from Back Bay station?

I'm a woman in my 30's and I'll be carrying a rather big suitcase. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
997 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to walk around Back Bay at ~10pm at night

If you don't mind dealing with the big suitcase, it is safe to take the T and walk the two blocks to Chandler Inn. Exit Back Bay Sta. to the rear (Clarendon St.), turn right on Clarendon, cross Columbus Ave., walk a short block down Clarendon to Chandler, go left on Chandler for one longer block, and the Chandler Inn will be across Berkeley St. on the right.

You could take a taxi from the front of Back Bay Sta. but the trip is very short so be sure you don't get taken for a ride. Tell the driver to take Stuart St. to Clarendon, to Appleton, to Berkeley. That's different from walking because of one way streets.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,166 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to walk around Back Bay at ~10pm at night

The T is a good suggestion but if you have a big suitcase i just settle for a taxi, taking the T with a big suitcase and dragging it up and down stairs and escalators could be a challenge if you dont mind it.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to walk around Back Bay at ~10pm at night

I think it's safe enough, but you are going to have to take a shuttle from the terminal to the Airport T station, then switch from the Blue Line to the Orange Line to get to Back Bay station. It could be a pain and you may be exhausted (are you coming in from Hong Kong?), so give a cab some serious consideration.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to walk around Back Bay at ~10pm at night

I would suggest a cab for the convenience factor.

5. Re: Safe to walk around Back Bay at ~10pm at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 06:23