We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

London
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

We arrive next Friday and I have pencilled in the following. We have a car booked and are stayin g in the theatre district. I like to be organised and busy so wanting to make sure we have something planned every day even if not for the whole day. Have loads of queries! Kids are 6 and 12 years.

Saturday 3rd April - suggestions please for an "easy" first day?

Sunday 4th - Blue Man Group booked for 2pm - suggestions for morning?

Monday 5th - Science Museum (am) and then The Duck at 2pm (not booked - is this doable? Is a morning enough at the Science Museum?

Tuesday 6th - Day trip out to Salem

Wednesday 7th - 11am booked Big Apple Circus - followed by lunch somewhere fun for the kids (any ideas?)

Thursday 8th - Aquarium (how big is this - will we need a full day?)

Friday 9th - Boston Childrens Museum then off to the airport for flight home to London early evening.

Any thoughts/concerns/suggestions most welcome. Also, is the weather really snowing and freezing right now and is the forecast any better?

Many thanks!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

3 April: for an easy first day, I would recommend a trolley tour. That way you can get a feel for the city. You can hop-on-hop-off, but you don't have to. I realize you want to do the Duck tour, but read on.

4 April: Have breakfast at Paramount Cafe on Charles St. Walk around Beacon Hill a bit.

5 April: Half a day probably would be enough at the Science museum, depending on how interested in everything everyone is. Duck: I've said before, I'll say it again: the only, and I mean only, thing the Duck tour has going for it is the dunk in the Charles River. Weather in early April can be very iffy. I don't know if it will be very appealing to go for a boat ride on an early April day.

6 April: why exactly would you like to see Salem? I think you'd be better off going to Cambridge and visiting Harvard.

7 April: Big Apple Circus is good. Lunch can be had in Quincy Market's food court, so the kids can pick anything they want.

8 April: probably don't need a full day, but again that depends on you.

Generally sounds good, though. You've got a lot, but you're not cramming too much in. You should look into the Freedom Trail and do at least part of that.

No one here has a direct connection to Mother Nature, so you can check the weather as well as anyone:

uk.weather.com/weather/today-Boston-USMA0046

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

" We have a car booked and are staying in the theatre district." According to your itinerary, there doesn't seem to be a need for a car. Even Salem can be done by train, or boat. Garage parking fees in Boston are quite high and the theatre district is not known for easy (or even possible) on-street parking.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,193 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

You seem to be avoiding anything historical. Don't underestimate the interests of your kids. I took mine to San Diego at ages 8 and 10 and they LOVED the historical stuff. I felt guilty that that they had never walked the "Freedom Trail" in Boston.

Granted, your kids probably haven't covered mcuh American History in school but some of the buildings are pretty interesting, and they will learn a bit,

I suggest the North End. It's an old neighborhood, which has some Italian history. You'll find some upscale restaurants, casual restaurants, pizzarias and yummy bakeries as well as the historical Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church. The USS Constitution is a fascinating old battle ship from the 1700s. Yes it has revolutionary war significance, but even if it didn't it's rpetty cool. Kids usually love this.

Sunday April 4th is Easter Sunday, I don't know that you'll find a whole lot opened before noon time. If you are interested in a church service, the ornate Trinity Church in Copley Square and the Old North Church already mentioned are both Episcopal churhes (American Branch of the Anglican church). There are many other churches of many other denominations. If you are interested, let us know and we'll let you know where to find what you are looking for.

The Aquarium can be covered in 2-3 hours. A half day for the museum of Science should be ok, but it depends on how into the various exhibits you are.

You may want to consider a visit to the Museum of Fine Arts. They have some mummies and other funereal arts stuff that many kids find interesting.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,193 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

Also ... when you say you hired a car ... do you mean somebody to drive you from the airport to your hotel, or do you mean you'll have a car in your posession for the length of your stay?

You don't want a car in the city and the only out-of-city item on your itinerary is Salem which is easily reached by train. You can't drive easily from site to site in Boston ... and every time you park, you start the parking fees running ... usually the first two hours are most expensive ...

BUT ... if you are intent on having a car, then make use of it and consider a visit to historic Lexington and Concord and check out the rocky coast of Cape Ann, etc.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

If the weather gets warmer (and it will), I would suggest more outdoor stuff.

Maybe a day trip to Lex/Concord - no hard feeling right? or a trip to Plymouth.

You haven't mentioned the Public Garden and the swan boats or touring Beacon Hill and the statehouse. Would the kids like a tour of Fenway Park (assuming the Red Sox are not in town)?

Or the Constitution?

or a boat ride in the harbor?

trip to top of the Hub (observation deck at Prudential Center) on a clear day

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

Your itinerary sounds fine except you do NOT need a car! Parking rates are very high in the city and public transportation is easy, inexpensive and available. I would suggest buying a $15 Charlie weekly link pass for unlimited subway, local bus and the inner-habor water shuttle rides, instead of the renting (hiring) a car. Your 6 year old rides for free so you will only need to purchase 2 passes.

I agree with Neslaw1, Where's the Public Garden? (unfortunately, the swan boats will not be open yet for the season during your visit but it still worth a walk-thru) On your first day I would take a stroll around the Public Garden and Boston Common and either walk some of the Freedom Trail, go to Quincy Market or take a walk down Charles St. Let your kids read "Make way for Ducklings" then see the statues at the Public Garden.

For Sunday morning you might want to go to the MIT museum. It doesn't take much time and is free on Sunday mornings.

You should have enough time at the Museum of Science and yes, do the Duck Tour (sorry Rantipole) but if you still missed any of the MOS then just make sure your hands are stamped and go back into the museum after the Duck Tour. Your 6 year might enjoy the Discovery Center exhibit at the MOS.

After the Big Apple Circus, maybe go to Regina's Pizza at the North End. After lunch walk over to the USS Constitution and The USS Constitution Museum. Your kids might enjoy walking up the Bunker Hill Monument, too. Just follow the Freedom trail from the North End (The red line on the side-walk) you can return via the Inner Harbor water shuttle.

Yes, it's pretty cold here right now and rain's predicted for early this week(again!) but last week we enjoyed some nice weather so hopefully the weather will be nice while you are here. Believe it or not the are predicting very warm temps for Easter Sunday.

Enjoy!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Way_for_Ducklings

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…

web.mit.edu/museum/exhibitions/index.html

http://www.mos.org/discoverycenter/

http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/

…navy.mil/ussconstitution/visitor_info.html

http://www.pizzeriaregina.com/

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

Oh, The Aquarium is an average size and it only takes a few hours to tour it, unless you go to one to the IMAX Shows.

'IF' the weather is very warm you might want to do a whale watch. (But they only go out for whale watches on the weekends in early April)

London
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful information! I'm ditching the car and love the idea of taking public transport and walking around. Am sitting down tor revise the itinerary taking into account your fantastic suggestions.

Thanks again.

9. Re: First trip to Bostn with kids, can you check my itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 06:18