We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
347 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

As the season has started what is your best place to go for Ipswich Fried clams.

In 1964 years ago I with the parents and our friends who welcomed us to Boston went to a place in Ashland called Marconis a Italien restaurant but they had great fried clams. I also remembering stopping at a Drive in on US 3 in Plymouth NH for some great fried clams for many years after also back then maybe called Skippy's.

However the best are the closer to the clam so let me know and I will go to Ispwich when I am there in a few weeks.

Thanks gmc

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

I like JT Farnham's in Ipswich

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jt-farnhams-essex-2

Others' swear by Woodman's but I don't like "atmosphere" and that affects my evaluation of the claims -- lol.

If you are looking for a place w/ a full bar and waitress service, I strongly reccommend The Village, also in Essex And if you are travelling with non-fish eaters, there's tons of options

http://www.village-essex.com/

And last but not least, I like the clams at the Sylvan Street Grill in Peabody (or that corner might be Danvers). The is on the location of the old 'Vic's Drive-in' and the new restaraunt, I believe, is owned by the same family. They still do the clams (and onion rings!) like they did way-back-when.

Here's the Phantom Gourmet's take on more than a few places:

www.phantomgourmet.com/Showpage.aspx…

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

#1. Clam Box, Ipswich.

#2. Village Restaurant, Essex

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

Btw, Marconi's in Ashland closed quite a few years ago. It's a Chinese restaurant now, in fact a very good one.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

In the city, I think Neptune Oyster does the best job around for fried clams.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

Love the Clam box.

Hadn't thought about Marconi's in a million years. Went there for an "upscale" family night out. But, always loved Giovanni's (which is a parking lot now (that is a crime) as the regular Friday place to see all my friends as a kid.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

Second the Clambox,

Photos here:

bostonzest.com/2008/10/clam-box-in-ipswich--…

We keep trying to find better and they still come out on top.

Neptune's are excellent but lack the clam shack feel. You have to stand in line, get them from a window, have much too much on the plate and still have perfect clams. Try the scallops at the ClamBox. That was our favorite.

And, if you like big bellies, you can ask if they have them. Oh, and at least last season it was cash only.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

Farnham's! Love sitting outside at the picnic tables after spending the day at Crane's Beach. Heaven!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

I'm a Clam Box in Ipswich fan. Just have to be patient about the line out the door or call in your order in advance.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

neslaw, Giovanni's was always the first-date place of choice with the circa 1973 Framingham HS grads. Do you remember the cheesey Chianti bottles with the candles in them on each table?

~sorry to hijack thread with a walk down memory lane~

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Best Ipswich Fried Clam Poll

I am a 74 North grad. Remember it all. was devastated when heard it was being plowed over.