We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor Lunch spot?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoor Lunch spot?

Just the idea that I could be eating outside in Boston this week is exciting :)! Although I live here (in a suburb) I don't go into the city enough these days to know who might have outdoor luncheon dining these days.

Can anyone suggest a spot within walking distance of the Four Seasons? I am meeting friends at the FS and am to pick the lunch spot (though they are paying). Not too fancy....just a nice place for a salad or sandwich would do.

Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

From the Four Seasons, just take a stroll along Newbury Street and you'll find lots of outdoor restaurants and cafes. If you don't want to roam too far, you can have lunch at the Parish Cafe on Boylston Street.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

If you go to Parish Cafe, just make sure you have a lot of time because Parish Cafe is very popular this time of year, there will be a long wait for those prime outdoor seats.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

Stephanie's is also good - a little further up newberry st- -also very popular in good weather

jhgrady

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

For a SUPER casual lunch with some great people-watching, I love Au Bon Pain (boring, I know) just outside of the Harvard Square subway station. Also, just across from there, inside Harvard Yard, there was a bunch of cafe tables set up last summer ... during the week they had a food cart there selling various things. On weekends the tables were still there and one Saturday we bought Upper Crust Pizza and ate there. I haven't been there recently and don't know if the tables are back for the season or not.

Edited: 05 April 2010, 17:47
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

How could that ever be within walking distance of the Four Seasons??

Edited: 05 April 2010, 19:44
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

Bouchee on Newbury Street is nice if it's a little windy since the seating area is slightly below street level but still gets plenty of sun. They have some great lunch options (French) and prices are reasonable. As long as you get out to lunch early (I'd recommend a little before noon), you should be able to find a table somewhere (I think PF Chang has their outdoor seating out now too if you want to head in the other direction).

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

I haven't had the food, but I love the setting the Boston Public Library offers in its courtyard. www.thecateredaffair.com/bpl/index.html

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

La Voile on Newbury, and Via Matta (right around the corner from the 4 Seasons), both have out door seating, as well. But for a "salad or sandwich", Parrish Cafe is probably best for you.

HOWEVER, and this applies to ALL the suggestions so far: a lot of places may not have their outdoor seating out yet. Sure the weather is nice right now. But, it is a royal pain to take the seats in and out, so a lot of places just wait until May, regardless of the weather beforehand, so they can just set up once. Parrish is, I think, more aggressive with putting the seats out, but you'll probably want to call ahead.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

Rantipole,

I ate outside at Parish in early March (after a 45 minute wait.)

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outdoor Lunch spot?

Like I said, Parrish is more aggressive with the outdoor seating. It still is a good idea to call.