We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

Bethel Park...
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

We are considering a trip to Boston August 14th - 18th and I am trying to find a hotel under $150 per night that is in the suburbs but within walking distance to the T. Ideally, the hotel would have a pool as well. I have already looked at hotels in town and they are over our budget especially with the $30-$40 per day parking fee for our car.

I do not like to use Priceline or Hotwire for family travel because I have been burned a couple times be getting stuck with a smoking room, a room with one bed for four people, or the worst room in the hotel (Next to elevators, above the bars etc...)

We have two kids - 7 and 10, and we plan to do the Aquarium, a whale boat tour, and the freedom trail for sure plus some of the other kid friendly museums and activities.

I spent 30-40 minutes looking at threads that popped up when I searched "Hotels close to T" and either get threads that say to search "Hotels close to T" or discussions of hotels that require shuttles to get to T station. I specifically want to be able to walk to T station.

Thank you in advance for all of your help! We are very excited to visit Boston as it will be our first visit to the New England area. We are hoping to get to know Boston and then stay a couple nights on Cape Cod or on a beach in RI before heading home.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

A few possibilities:

- Hotel Indigo in Newton -- right by Riverside station on the Green line and gets generally favorable reviews here on TripAdvisor

- Various hotels in Brookline (e.g. Courtyard near Cleveland Circle), all also along the Green line

- Crowne Plaza in Newton is adjacent to an express bus station with relatively fast, frequent service to downtown -- though the schedules are focused on rush-hour commuting

- A number of hotels in Quincy and Braintree are near the red line T, but unfortunately I don't know that area well enough to distinguish ones that are specifically in walking distance - perhaps another poster can.

- Cambridge, while not really a "suburb," also has some hotels that are more affordable because they are outside of downtown, but still walkable to a T station. If a B&B would work for your family, there are also a bunch near Irving/Kirkland streets behind Harvard Yard. There's also a Homewood Suites hotel just over the town line in Arlington, which is about a 15-minute walk to Davis station.

- Or, try parking your car at an outlying T station (e.g. Alewife) for $8/day and put the savings into your hotel budget for a place closer to downtown.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

Try looking at Cambridge Hotels. You could try the Best Western Hotel Tria in Cambridge but they don't have a pool but it is walking distance from a T stop. The Hyatt Place in Medford is probably you best option even though they offer a shuttle to the T. The Inn at Crystal Cove is another option but it's in Winthrop. There's a bus stop right at the Inn to take you to the T and a small outdoor pool and a nice family beach within walking distance. It's tough to find a place under $150 without using Hotwire and/or Priceline in or close to the city.

http://www.hoteltria.com/index.cfm

…hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/place/index.jsp

http://www.inncrystalcove.com/

http://www.winthropchamber.com/whattodo.asp

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

I just did a quick search for a Boston hotel for your dates and the Radisson Hotel came up for less than $150 per night! I would park your car at a T stop and forget about the car until you are ready to go to the Cape. If you park at Station Landing Garage right next to Wellington T stop and park above the 5th level, it's only $5 per 24 hours and there's a 24 security guard at the garage.

Enjoy!

http://www.radisson.com/bostonma

stationlanding.com/StationLandingParkingRate…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

I like Remay's suggestion but if you aren't comfortable with that ...

You'll have a lot more options if you remove 'walking to T' from your criteria. You can always drive a short distance and pay $5 - $8 to park at the T station.

Consider Hyatt Place in Medford Mass. You can take a bus their shuttle to the T station or drive to the T station and make your way downtown from there.

Bethel Park...
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

Thank you for all the great information! I think I am going to book the Radisson and park the car outside city under Remey's suggestion. Looking on map at how close everything is to the Radisson I think it will be worth it. Thank you so much for finding that hotel for me and the idea to park the car out of the city.

This is why I love tripadvisor:-)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

Have a great trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

Nicely done!!!

To all forum regulars, be advised about suggesting the Hyatt Medford for those looking to rely SOLELY on a shuttle to get them to/from the T station. It appears that shuttle is very unreliable for taking guests to the T station as it's always tied up doing airport runs. Just a heads up on that.

8. Re: Looking for a Suburban Hotel within walking distance to T.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 07:17