We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with hotel

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with hotel

We are taking a cruise leaving from Boston in late Sept. We are flying in a day in advance of the cruise to see something in the Boston area. We would like to see North Church and possibly Plymouth Plantation or Gloucester. I hear that they both are nice. Can you please help with a hotel that we could use that would be good for this purpose? We are trying to figure out what transportation we could take to get from airport to the hotel and then to the pier. I don't know if there are rental cars near the ship's pier or if there is a hotel that a shuttle service or how to work this out. I tried the cruise line and because we booked our own air, they will not help with transfers, even if we pay for the transfers.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with hotel

Cruises leave Boston from the Black Falcon Terminal in South Boston. Unfortunately, that's not really near any of the tourist areas. However, Boston being a small city, you are only a short taxi ride away.

As for hotels, the most convenient ones would probably be the Seaport Hotel or the Westin Waterfront. Both of those are close by. Other options might be the Marriott Long Wharf, the Intercontinental, or the Boston Harbor Hotel.

If you want the most convenient way from the airport to your hotel, grab a taxi at the airport. It's also the most expensive way to go. Another option is taking the T Silver Line from the airport to the waterfront area. If you are staying at, let's say, the Seaport Hotel, you would take the Silver Line directly from your arrival terminal to the World Trade Center stop, which is across the street from the hotel. You can also take the Silver line into South Station and transfer there to the Red Line which can take you wherever you need to go.

If the weather is nice, you can also walk from South Station to the North End along the waterfront and through the Rose Kennedy Greenway, which is actually quite a very nice walk.

If you are only coming in to Boston one day in advance of your cruise, I don't recommend trying to get to Plimouth Plantation or to Gloucester. Both places are about an hour South or North (respectively) of Boston, and you'd really need a car for the Plantation. I'd recommend you to stick to Boston for the one night. Walk around the North End and Quincy Market areas, and walk up through the Back Bay as well. That will keep you plenty occupied.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with hotel

Agree with beantownman. You're only here for 1 full day so spend your time discovering Boston. I also agree that the Seaport is a hotel you should seriously consider. It's the best hotel (in my opinion) in that neighborhood, and the rates are great for a 4 star property. If you want to arrive in style, skip taking the "land" taxi and hop a water taxi which will take you directly to the hotel. Cost is $10 each. The Concierge of the Seaport sometimes posts on this forum, and hopefully she sees your post and can help you out some. I believe the hop on/off trolley tours stop at or right near this hotel and tickets can be purchased at the hotel. That will take you up into the city if you wanna cruise around and see many sites of interest. The Silver Line is right there if you want to take public transit up into the city...or you can even walk up into the heart of the action, but it's a longish walk. The Seaport isn't far at all from the Black Falcon for your cruise departure.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with hotel

Reasonably priced hotel is Harborside Inn at 185 State street....right at the Aquarium T stop (stay at the front of the train!). Hotel does NOT have any restaurant...but free computer usage in the lobby.......right across (or within 1 block) of Quincy Market. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts not too far away but they usually close by 7pm. Nunzios Pizza next store makes breakfast stuff starting at 7am....There is a 24-hour convenience store on the corner.

Legal Seafoods is only about 2 blocks away (over near the aquarium).

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with hotel

Thank you for your help. I appreciate all the replies. I have thought about it and I decided to book the Seaport Hotel. I can take the T Silver Line from the airport right to their door. I have wanted to see Plimoth Plantation so we may rent a car to spend about 2 hours there and do that right before the cruise, but I am not sure yet. I can rent a car in the lobby of the Seaport. I may go to Old North Church or Paul Revere's house or Fanueil Hall. Is it better to drive there and park or is there a subway that will take me from Fanueil Hall to the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with hotel

Hi,

Again, the T will take you wherever you want to go around central Boston, including the North End. From the Seaport Hotel, you'd take the Silver Line to South Station. At that point, you have a few options:

Walk from South Station, along Atlantic Avenue to the North End. A very pretty walk, especially if the weather is nice. It should take you about 25 minutes or so. You can follow the Harborwalk, which is a marked trail that runs right along the waterfront. It will take you directly to the North End, which is where the Old North Church and Paul Revere's house is. It also takes you right by Faneuil Hall as well.

Transfer at South Station to the Red Line one stop to Downtown Crossing and take the Orange Line northbound (towards Oak Grove), exiting at Haymarket stop. You can walk right into the North End from there, it's about a 10 minute walk.

If you want to skip the Silver Line and the T entirely, you can:

Take the Water Taxi from the terminal next to the World Trade Center to the stop at the North End.

Take a regular Taxi from your hotel right to Old North Church.

Under NO circumstances should you drive a car to the North End. You will NOT find parking near the Old North Church. You would need to park in an expensive parking garage a few minutes' walk away.

Have fun!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with hotel

The only reason to rent a car is to LEAVE Boston. You don't need or want a car in downtown. To give you an idea of how difficult it is to park in the North End .... my husband and I were once on our way to Cape Cod (pre-Ted Williams tunnel days) and we came by the North End, saw a parking space and stopped just because we could!!! We had lunch and picked up some Italian Cold Cuts and other deli items to bring to our rental cottage.

7. Re: Please help with hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 07:17