We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

Sacramento
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

We are a gay couple traveling from California to experience Gay Pride in Boston this June. We are staying at the Hilton Bay Back Hotel and wanted to find out how close that is to the gay bars/clubs etc. In addition, any feedback and recommendations for us while we are visiting from June June 19th to 16th. Thanks for your help!

R&R

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

Many of the gay clubs are in the South End, which is adjacent to Back Bay. From your hotel, I would say it would be about a 10 or 15 minute walk to the beginning of the South End.

Edited: 20 April 2010, 21:58
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

The parade route runs down Tremont St. in the South End and then up Berkeley St. and Boylston St., Charles St. and ends at City Hall. Your hotel is a few blocks from the route so that's good.

You can walk to the bars in the South End from your hotel, and to the big block party which they usually have every year after the parade.

I'm a bit confused, though. Pride weekend this year is June 12-13. You say you are visiting from the 16th to the 19th? That is after everything is over and done. Are those the correct dates, or did you mistype?

Here's the website for more information:

http://www.bostonpride.org/index.php

Sacramento
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

OOPS! Yes, that is a typo. We will be there from June 10th to June 16th. Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like we picked a good location and look forward to the fun and more of what Boston has to offer.

R&R

Boston
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

Besides the Parade, etc. I don't know where your interests lie, but there are museums, shows, harbor cruises, whale watches, duck tours, historical sites, etc. If you let us know what other things interest you we can make more suggestions.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

For information about bars and clubs check out www.edgeboston.com

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

I will not be there for the Gay Pride 2010, but I am going in July. What would be the best general area (tourist, shopping, restaurants)? I see that the bars/clubs are not too close together, so it seems that driving will be necessary anyway.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

I guess you haven't been reading many posts here yet. Driving is NOT what you want to do! Boston is a big walking city with a good subway system. You won;t be able to get around the city easily with a car, plus you'll be paying $30 or $40 a night to park it.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

Driving necessary? Absolutely not. I don't know what map you're looking at, but Boston is pretty compact and easier to get around without a car than with.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

Junyea, you're thinking in Los Angeles terms. In Boston, you just need to walk, take the subway, or take a cab between bars.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay Couple attending Boston Pride in June 2010

I have heard that a car is not necessary in Boston. I will be driving in from Portland, Maine, as I am visiting family and decided during the weekend to drive in to Boston. I can park the car and utilize the Subway/Cabs. So there is not much I can do about the car issue.

I would still like to know the best place to stay, per recommendations.