We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NE Patriots football weekend advice?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NE Patriots football weekend advice?

Hey everyone,

I am looking into heading to Boston in October for a Patriots game with some guys and was wondering where the best location to stay would be? We are in our younger to mid 30's and would like to go out to some fun bars on Friday/Saturday and then the game on Sunday. We don't want clubs, but fun bars probably. We also want to check out the historic downtown and a few tourist sites during the day.

I see the commuter train heads down to the stadium from South Station and/or the Back Bay station... so where would you recommend us staying? Does it make sense to stay somewhere downtown to catch the train to the stadium, or is there anywhere else better to stay and we could catch the train/cab into downtown when we want?

It will be our first football trip to Foxborough so any advice would be appreciated!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

You can pretty much stay wherever you like. South Station is on the red line (subway) and easy to get to, and the Pats train also stops at Back Bay station as it's heading out of town. So stay wherever you want, but the Back Bay, Theater District, Downtown and the Harborfront (not South Boston Waterfront) but the main harborfront near Fanueuil Hall/Quincy Market would be best. Plenty of bars around Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market, but many of them attract a college crowd, especialy on Friday and Saturday. Same can be said for the Back Bay, but there's also more upscale places to drink in Back Bay, so not as bad there. South End also has some nice places to drink.

Hotels worth looking into around/nearby Fanueil Hall include Marriott Long Wharf, Marriott Custom House, The Ames, Millenium Bostonian and Hilton Financial District and more.

Downtown/Theater District is the Nine Zero, Omni Parker House, Radisson and W Boston and more.

Back Bay has a Westin Copley Place, Marriott Copley Place, Back Bay Hilton, Colonnade, Courtyard Marriott Copley Square, the Taj and more.

The city is super easy to get from place to place and the T is a god transit system. So stay wherever you want.

Just a note on the Patriots train. It's a great way to get down there without having to fight the traffic and then put $50 in Bob Kraft's pocket for parking, but it doesn't leave you much time to wander around before kickoff...and when it says the train leaves 30 minutes after the game ends, they mean it. Don't dillydally around after the game or it'll be an expensive trip back to Bston.

Have fun.

Edited: 22 April 2010, 07:31
Seattle
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

Great reply, thanks much! The tip regarding the train to the game is really helpful as I didn't think of that... We like to do some tailgating and meeting people, so maybe we need to think of another option.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

Other than the train, you really need a car for Foxboro. Traffic leaving the stadium can be absolutely horrendous (1 hr.+ to get out of the lot). Plus, as stated previously you pay for parking. It might be best to do your "tailgating" in town before the train.

And definitely you will be happier staying in town and commuting to the game than vice versa.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

Great advice! We are going to be doing the same thing but a different week to see Baltimore and the Patriots play.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

Traffic is terrible but if you are not in a rush the best thing to do is go back and do some more tailgating and let the traffic subside.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

If you want to experience nightlife, I would definitely forgoe the tailgating this time around, stay in the city and take the train to the stadium. Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of the commuter rail schedule, which stops running early on the weekend (like, before midnight). Having to leave a bar to catch that 11pm train doesn't sound like much of a nightlife to me.

Not to mention you'd probably still have to drive back to a hotel from the train station, which doesn't work if you've been out drinking.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

I've only ever been to one event in Foxboro (the Inter/AC-Milan friendly last August) and I will never go there again by car because of the traffic getting out of there.

Arizona
Level Contributor
122 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

Patriot-place.com

There is a hotel right at the stadium. (It's p ricey though, but you didn't mention a budget)

There are also hotels in the area. There's a Marriott, Red Roof Inn, Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn all right on the Foxboro/Mansfield line, so there are options closer to the stadium.

And, at Patriot Place, you have shopping, dining and even some nightlife. Davio's is a nice bar and there are several others right at Patriot Place. Could be worth checking it out.

And as someone said, traffic can be a nightmare, but if you stay for an hour or so after the game to do more tailgating, getting out can be a breeze. (I live in Foxboro and used to work at one of the stores at Patriot Place.)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,481 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

Unless you stay at the Marriott at Patriot Place, you'll need to drive to the stadium and encounter all the issues mentioned above. My advice is skip the car, stay downtown and use the train to see the game.

The commuter rail to Foxboro, as mentioned, does not run frequently on weekends and it only stops at the stadium (Marriott) on game days.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: NE Patriots football weekend advice?

And the Renaissance hotel at Patriot Place is HUGE money on Patriot game weekends.