We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
596 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and for all your tips and advice on the Forum.

Arrived in Boston around 1.30 Sat afternoon after a 4hr train journey from New York, weather lovely, temp in the 70’s and very sunny. Got to Hilton Hotel in the Financial District and found we’d been upgraded to a King suite which was lovely, got unpacked and made our way to Quincy Market. Found lots of choice for food and sat outside with sandwiches and cookies watching the street entertainers, very busy but great atmosphere. Found Bostix and got tickets for Blue Man Group, as advised, I avoided the “obstructed seats tickets” and opted for the normal discounted tickets, glad I did when I saw someone in the theatre complaining later that night about the obstructed seats. Thought we should make our way down to the theatre district so we were there for dinner, so headed in the general direction where I thought we needed to be, ended up Downtown and then suddenly we were at Boston Common, was very surprised to find everything so close, I had expected everything to be much further walking distance. Spotted the State House so stopped for photos and people watched on the Common for a while. Wandered along into Public Garden and waited our turn for a photo at “Make way for the ducks” then had a relaxing walk around and came across Cheers, stopped again a drink and photos and then bought a few t-shirts at the souvenir shop. Made our way to the theatre district and ate at a Irish Bar, can’t remember the name but it was near to Flemings and we had a very nice meal. Onto the theatre for a great show then back to hotel.

Sun – Up early so had a wander around the marina area got leaflets for duck tours and browsed them over breakfast at Quincy Market. Headed back for 10am tour, which ended an hour later at the USS Constitution, which we then toured before heading up to Bunker Hill. Stopped at Ironsides pub for a huge lunch before talking the walk up to the monument, absolutely loved Charlestown, its so beautiful and I’ve got some fantastic photos of the lamp-lit streets with the blossom trees everywhere. Got to the monument and decided against the climb, said I was still full from lunch. Walked back to the North End and spent a while walking up Hancock St/Freedom Trail before hitting Mike’s pastry shop. More walking to counteract the cakes, then booked Joes at the Waterfront for later that night where we had a fantastic meal.

Mon – Took the T to Cambridge and spent the morning walking around the campus and Harvard Sq had lunch at Mr Bartley’s Burgers, couldn’t believe the variety of burgers - took me ages to choose. Wandered down to the river for a while and then got the T back over to Boston Common where we watched an impromptu softball game and then went shopping downtown. Visited the Athenaeum and the 2 burying ground sites. Headed back to the hotel then dinner at Hard Rock – not my choice but son really loves visiting different Hard Rock’s had to give in, meal as expected.

Tue – Walked down Boylston St to the Prudential Centre, went up to Skywalk then did some shopping. Came across the Apple shop so son now really wants an i-pad, didn't give in but they are very tempting. Continued up Boylston to Mass Ave then crossed onto Newbury St and walked back dropping into some of the shops. Really beautiful area. Had pizza at the Uppercrust – yummy. Headed back via Public Garden and Boston Common. Dinner at Dolce Vita in the North End – really nice meal with excellent staff.

Wed – Leaving today for flight to Washington had walk to Holocaust Memorial and then back to Quincy Market for Red Sox souvenirs.

Overall we had a fantastic trip, the weather was gorgeous and we really enjoyed the relaxed pace just wandering around, we will no doubt be back sometime.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Oh please do come visit us again and thank you so much for posting!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Hello MissMilly,

Thank you for your great trip report. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it all. Glad you made it to Charlestown, I actually only climbed the Bunker Hill Monument twice in my life and I was born & raised a few yards from it, so you're not alone! It's quite a neighborhood, when you come back you'll have to remember to go to the Bunker Hill Museum directly across the street from the Monument in the front then walk down Monument Avenue, turn right for 2 Pleasant Street where the Warren Tavern is located:

www.warrentavern.com

Thank you again for your great trip report of Boston, MissMilly. You know we'll be looking for your next one when you come back. You covered a lot of territory in those few days, good job!

Edited: 24 April 2010, 20:33
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

thanks for the report. sorry you didn't get an iPad. we could use the sales tax revenue here. :-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,997 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Thanks for taking the time to write us, missmilly. It sounds like you had a nice trip to Boston as well as NYC. Come back anytime! :)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Glad you had a wonderful trip missmilly and you navigated your way around very well,glad you got a photo at the Public Garden Ducky area thanks for sharing a wonderful TR.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Sounds like you had a great time. I was in Boston Apr 6-9....I purchased a CHarlie Card in advance and re-loaded it once. I was overambitious in what I THOUGHT I could do so only saw Aquarium, One bldg on freedom trail, Isabella Stewart Gardner museum (cant take photos), Kennedy Museum.

Ate twice at Legal Seafood, once Antico Forno (would not go back), once Bertucci's, Once at Black Rose (?) on State street...

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
281 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report. I will be in Boston this summer and really enjoy reading trip reports.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
596 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

Thanks all for your positive comments on my report and your tips for my return trip.

Husband has been put off flying for a while since we got stranded in New York at the end of our trip, but I'm working on it and will no doubt be planning my return, maybe in the Fall this time.

10. Re: Trip Report 10th-14th Apr. Loved it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 05:16