We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toledo oh
3 posts
Save Topic
If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

We are going to be in Boston over the Memorial weekend holiday. I want to try as many different kinds of restaurants as possible. If we could only choose one Italian restaurant, which would you recommend. I was reading good reviews on Giacomo's and Delfino. I'd preferably like to spend around $20 per plate, but am willing to pay a little more for a great meal and experience.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

I mentioned this early this morning on another thread... My native Italian wife and sister-in-law recently had a girl's night out at Da Vinci's and rave about it:

http://www.davinciboston.com/

I have not been there myself but we are terribly snobbish about Italian food. :-)

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

Coppa.

www.coppaboston.com

The whole menu is comprised of small plates, so you can try several different things and still not wrack up an enormous bill. I love their plain pizza and more standard pasta dishes as much as their more adventurous offerings (pigs tails, alf brain ravioli), and drinks are mostly on the cheaper side.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

$20 per entree puts you into the general red sauce Italian category (which is fine) and away from the higher-end more "sophisticated" spots. You are not going to get any sort of agreement here. Take the suggestions and then look at the various websites and pick what appeals to you. There are probably close to 100 Italian restaurants like this in Boston and everyone has their favorites. I know people rave about Giacommo's, but they don't take reservations and I'm not going to wait in line, so I've never been. People on this board really like LaSumma. I've been there and it is fine. I'm a bit more partial to Cantina Italiana when it comes to the red sauce category.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

Al Dente to stay within your budget.

Taranta Cucina Meridonale for their Italian/Peruvian fusion. It will cost more than $20 per plate, but worth every penny imo.

Giacomo's would be a great choice if you don't mind waiting in line. It's pretty noisy in there as well.

Delfino would require the most work to get to.

Boston
Level Contributor
49 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

I definitely agree with the poster above. I depends on what atmosphere and type of italian food you are looking for...if you have some time go over to the north end and look for anywhere with a line that you like the menu.

Here are a couple of my favs though:

In the north end: Pagliucas and Trattoria Il Panino (right across from each other - the more classic italian feel), Strega (more fancy).

Out of the north end, and if you want just perfect service...Teatro (not classic italian food however).

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

It would really depend on my mood, but depending on that, it would be either:

Via Matta

Grotto

Prezza

Vinny's (in Somerville...NOT Vinny T's which was awful)

Now factoring in your cost constraint, I would go to Grotto. (Vinny's would work too, except it is kind of out of the way if you're only here for a couple days.)

Taranta and Teatro are also excellent. I have not been to Coppa, but have heard it is outstanding. Also heard some good things about DaVinci. I do not recommend Strega at all.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

My real favorites are all out of the $20 per entree range and would include those mentioned above, Prezza and Taranta, and also Mamma Maria, Marco, and Euno.

If you decide to stretch your budget, check them out.

I think we are all assuming that $20 is your budget for an entree. If that is to include an appetizer/desert/wine, etc. then there really would be nowhere to suggest except for Pizzeria Regina.

8. Re: If you could only eat at one Italian restaurant...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2010, 05:34