We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car

I've been looking at rental cars for our trip in early June and want to get opinions on what I've found.

Arriving early June and spending 4 nights in the city. Renting a car on the 5th day and heading to other points in the area. Returning to Logan.

It appears that few rental companies have a reasonably priced car in the city that can be dropped at Logan. Concierge was quoting around $50/day for an economy car. Up from there.

I found Thrifty has a great deal off the airport. So my plan is taxi to the Thrifty on 1A(?) Pick up there and drop with shuttle to the airport.

Is that a good area, my assumption is it is probably lined with rental companies.

BTW- for those looking, for some reason I got a better rate using the rental company link on the MTA site instead of the company directly.

Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car

Actually Thrifty is by itself of the airport on 1A.Enterprise use to be on 1A but all the other rental agencies are on airport property.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car

There's a Thrifty office on Atlantic Avenue near the Aquarium. I bet you may be able to get that rate there and not hve to leave the city. Just ask that and whether you can return at the other location if you wish.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car

Yes, Thrifty is by itself on Rte 1A S, Hertz is on 1A north, but closer to the airport. That said, it's easy to get to. My company uses them and I've directed out of state coworkers there ...

You go thru the Calahan Tunnel towards teh airport. You exit the tunnel, drive past the airport entrance and stay on Rte 1A for about a mile and you'll se Thrifty on the other side. Exit on the right (you'll actually see s sign on the right pointing to thrifty) ... make a U-turn under the raised road (there's a dedicated lane for this) and as you return to 1A South and thrifty is right there.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car

The thing to remember is that downtown Boston is close to the airport, so going back to the airport to pick up a car is not a big deal. But I agree w/ Alan, check Thrifty downtown first.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car

Can anyone forward the info for the Thrifty location on Atlantic downtown? I tried Thrifty 1-800 and they had no record of it. Google maps has an Alamo.

Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car

Hey, Tom

I did a google search and found no Thrifty location on Atlantic. You can rent from Alamo on Atlantic if that is okay with you. Looks like a National Rental there as well.

Edited: 16 May 2010, 21:52
7. Re: Rental Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 05:17