We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

I see that its a way better deal to book a weekly car rental from downtown Boston than at the airport ($200 savings). I was wondering, are there shuttles that will take you from the airport to downtown & how much? or is a taxi better & how much would that be?

Also, downtown car rental doesn't open til 8am & plane lands at 5:30am, so what's there to do for a couple hours that early in the morning?

Thanks for any help!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

First question, are you intending to stay right in Boston? If so, having a car is not necessary as we are a compact city easily navigated by foot or our public transportation system (www.mbta.com). Parking here is quite expensive as well.

But to answer your question from the airport, you can hop on the mbta which will cost you $2 or you can easily get a taxi of which the cost depends on your final destination. Which leads me to second question, what is your final destination? We can then offer suggestions on what to do when you arrive.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
422 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

We're using Thrifty. They are off the airport and the cheapest we found. And they have an airport shuttle.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

You sure there's a Thrifty Car Rental in Downtown Boston? I know Alamo, National, Enterprise and Avis locations, but not Thrifty. I think there's one in Cambridge. Is that what you were planning?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

I'm guessing the Thrifty location in Revere is the one with the cheapest rates?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

Revere's their "Airport" location.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

I'm the OP. Dh & son are going to Cooperstown for baseball tourney- flying into Boston, they will not be staying there.

I go thru Costco Alamo, usually get great rates... but not thru Boston- rates are like $650 for the smallest car- ridiculous when I can get the same rental car for a week in Maui for 1/4 the price!

I will check the Thrifty that was mentioned. That $2 shuttle sounds good too but now my dh thinks thats too much of a hassle to rent a car.

Thanks for the help!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

I'm a little confused by your latest post. I thought you already had a quote Downtown $200 cheaper than the Airport. And that was via Thrifty. And I thought you needed the car to go to Cooperstown. So now I'm not sure what the situation is, except to make sure you know tha you don't want or need a rental car in Downtown Boston.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

Look at the posts- tomn3 booked thru Thrifty, not me.

I looked at thrifty too & it was too much, still over $600.

I may go thru Priceline, name my price- how soon should I do that or should I wait til it gets close?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

I see. Thanks. Guess I missed that there was another poster in there. Priceline is a great idea. After all, a car is just a car.

10. Re: Shuttle or Taxi to downtown Boston for car rental???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 06:31