We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boston first week in august 2010

tipperary
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
boston first week in august 2010

hi,

just looking for some advice please , heading to america for 3 wks in august, we are going to boston to visit a friend for maybe a wk or 5 days, any advice on where to stay, weather, whats good to see and do etc, we were thinking then of goin to florida or new york for the second week but nothin decided yet. any advice appreciated ,

thanking you,

aly

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,454 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boston first week in august 2010

We have much advice already posted on the forum, check out the links to the left and right and as well I am sure your friend will have some ideas. Based on the time of year you are visiting, I'd head to New York for the second part of your trip maybe with a stop for a few nights at Cape Cod.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: boston first week in august 2010

Hi, Aly

Your message lacks so much info that it's hard to give you the best advice. It seems you'll be visiting a friend while here so I'm guessing (hoping) this person has a good plan for showing you around.

I (I'm sure everyone here) would love to steer you in the right direction, but "where should i stay" and "what should i see or do" is very general and can vary from person to person. There's budget to consider, whether or not you like to be in an area with lots of bars, or an area with lots of shopping, or a more quiet area at night. When discussing what should you see, well tell us what sorts of things you find interesting. Do you like museums? Do you like taking daytrips out of the city? Do you like recreation in the city? Do you like to go shopping? Are you interested in American History? Irish pubs? Harbor tours? Whale watches? City tours or explore by yourself?

There's too many unknowns to give you solid advice. Help us to help you. And as Mahj said, feel free to browse through the many topics and forum posts to see if anything catches your eye.

There's just so much to

Edited: 23 May 2010, 23:51
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: boston first week in august 2010

Meant to say that there's so much to planning a good trip and the more you can share about yourself, the better your trip is likely to be.

Hope to hear back from you, Aly.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boston first week in august 2010

We are from Florida and unless you want to visit Disney I would stay in New England and forget the south in August. Hot and humid. Boston, you can take the train to Marblehead or go down to the Cape, take the ferry to Martha's vineyard. We are staying in Boston the first week of August. We went to stubhub and got tickets to see a Red Sox game. We are just going to do the normal Boston sightseeing stuff. You would like the Cape for the beach. We found a great apartment in the vacation rental section to the left. Beacon hill area, has everything we will need and love not staying in a hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
New England
New England
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
2,097 Reviews
Boston, MA
Florida
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boston first week in august 2010

Aly, I saw you were from Tipperary, I love Ireland. You would like NYC for the shows and could spend a couple days there, it will be hot in August for you. The amtrak train goes from the South station into NYC so you would not need a car. It can take you to Washington DC also. About an 8 hour train ride though...I think the train goes to Rockport Ma also and they say that is very pretty, sort of a mini Cliffs of Moher. Newport, Rhode Island is lovely! I think there is a lot to do and your three weeks will fly by. If you decide you really want to fly into Orlando I can help you with that.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
6. Re: boston first week in august 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 06:25