We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - June 10th - June 13th

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - June 10th - June 13th

Many of you experts have helped me already, but now I need a little more help with the specifics. Here's my preliminary plan...I would LOVE your comments and answers to the questions:

Thursday:

Arrive @ 1:00; cab to Radisson; 4:00 - Old Town Trolly to get overview of Boston. 6:00 - Get off Trolley at Paul Revere's house and walk to Giacomo's for dinner; After dinner, walk to Mike's Pastries for Cannolli. QUESTION.....cab or T back to Radisson?

Friday:

IDEAS for a good breakfast?? Also, I'd like to take the 10:00 Boston by Foot tour and/or the 1:00 North End Boston by Foot tour....do you think that is too much touring ( I love it, but my DH and DD (17) might get bored)? We will also have a free ticket for the Trolley all day. Lunch around Quincy or Faneuil.

We have Red Sox tickets for the 7:10 game - what time should we get there, how should we get there and how should we get back to the Radisson from the ballgame?

Saturday:

Breakfast, the T to Hahvahd Square for the Unofficial Tour. Then, lunch at Mr. Bartley's Burgers. Nee to walk around some and then get ice scream....I heard Herrells is closed, what is the next best?

T back to Radisson - may just walk around Boston Common some and then dinner at Neptunes. T or Cab back to Radisson, unless walking is a good option???

Sunday:

May try to do a whale watching tour or just a trip on the water. Other ideas for Sunday? We have to be at the airport by 2:30.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - June 10th - June 13th

Right now, don't worry about whether you'll take a cab or the T at a certain point. A lot of it is how tired you are and whether a cab goes by. I might suggest picking Friday or Saturday as the best time to do things on the water. Then you're not worrying about getting to the airport (and fetching your luggage). You could combine your Faneuil Hall time with most of the water ferries or cruises, since most of them leave from the wharf close to Faneuil Hall. There is an inexpensive boat that goes quite often to George's Island in the harbor. It's a fun boat ride (with concession stand on board) and the island itself is great. It's about 80% occupied by a gigantic old historic stone fort. I think kids really love exploring this fort. From the ramparts you can see way out to sea, and you spot sailboats, lighthouses, other islands. It's great. The islands in Boston Harbor are sort of a national park, or national historic whatsit -- do a search for Boston Harbor Islands and you'll get tons of info. Whale watches take quite a bit of time -- do not do this the day you are leaving town! About your baseball game. I really recommend getting to the ballpark early. It is fun, you can look around, and really check out the different types of food. The street outside Fenway (Yawkey Way) is kind of a street fair before every home game, and at the end of this street, you can even see the live TV sportscast being done. If you want to eat a real dinner before the ballgame, I mean at a restaurant, you need to either eat away from that area then rush over to Fenway or you need to be at a restaurant in the area no later than 5 p.m. and preferably earlier. By the way, the correct T stop is "Kenmore Square" and not a stop called "Fenway". Somehow lots of people know about Mike's Pastry but there are other good sweet shops in the North End, such as the Modern.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - June 10th - June 13th

From the North End you have your choice of cab, T, or walking. Like Maxie said it depends on how you feel. A cab would probably be around $15 with tip. It's not far, but cabs aren't cheap in Boston. For T, go to Haymarket station and take Green Line to Arlington. The walk is a bit long, but it could be pleasant if weather is nice and you are up for it.

As far as getting to Fenway. From hotel go to Arlington station and take any trolley outbound (Boston College, Riverside, Cleveland Circle) EXCEPT the Heath St. line. Get off at Kenmore and follow the crowds for a 10 minute walk to Fenway. You can take it back the opposite way. It will be very crowded with Red Sox fans, but that can be fun.

Your plan does not allow you to see any of the Back Bay. So, if you aren't too tired, you might want to walk to Fenway from your hotel, straight down Boylston or meander down Newbury (high-end shopping street). Give yourself some time to polk around on the way.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - June 10th - June 13th

If the weather is nice, I would definitely walk from the North End to the Radisson. It will probably be the highlight of your trip.

I would take the green line from Arlington to Kenmore (and back after the game) to get to Fenway. You can arrive there whenever you want to.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - June 10th - June 13th

Hi again, Emily

The first thing that jumped out at me is the first day you plan to use the Old Town Trolley. Trolleys begin their final 2 hour loop around 3 and are done for the day at 5. The pickup location near the Radisson is stop #6, the Old Town Trolley's souvenir shop, at the corner of Charles & Boylston. Maybe you board there and take it past Cheers Pub, into the Back Bay, over to Fenway Park, across the river to Cambridge and back into the city to stop #15. Going further than stop 15 will take you into the Seaport area and stops mainly at a few hotels down there. Stop 15 is at Beacon & Park streets. You could walk down Park, take a left onto Tremont and visit the Granary Burial Ground before carrying on past Faneuil Hall and into the North End. Granary is part of the Freedom Trail and the likes of Sam Adams, Robert Treate Paine, John Hancock, Paul Revere, the parents of Ben Franklin, Mary Goose, Peter Faneuil and all 5 killed in the Boston Massacre are buried here. It's a small burial ground, but knowing where the famous people are located beforehand is a real help.

www.celebrateboston.com/sites/granary-map.pdf

You could walk up to Faneuil Hall and into The North End from here. Paul Revere's House is very close by Giacomo's if you wanted to take a look before hopping in line for dinner. Remember that Giacomo's is cash only.

Haymarket T stop is the closest and about a 10 minute walk. You can also easily walk to Gov't Center T from the North End.

Friday. Breakfast at Paramount on Charles Street would work. There's also Mike &Patty's near your hotel on Church Street.

Maybe finish up your trolley tour and go and take the free harbor cruise that comes with your tickets. It's 45 minutes long. Head over to Long Wharf (near the Aquarium) to take this cruise. What to do next is up to you and the fam. You should definitely make time to check out the Public Garden and the Back Bay neighborhood. From Back Bay, you could walk to Fenway or take the T. It's up to you. Or go back to the Radisson, freshen up, then head to the game. Try to be at Fenway no later than 6.

JP Licks would be a good choice for ice cream in Harvard Square.

Sunday wouldn't be a bad day to take a stroll around the Beacon Hill neighborhood and connect with the Charles River Esplanade. Kind of just take it easy before you need to check out and head to the airport.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - June 10th - June 13th

I assume you know that Boston is a compact city so distances are easily covered by foot or by the T.

Thursday - I don't think I'd want to start a tour at 4 p.m. as you'll be hitting rush hour and you may be stuck in traffic. Instead, I'd head to the North End a bit earlier if you plan to dine at Giacomo's because you'll most likely be standing in a line. I'd encourage you to take the T. It's easy to navigate and much more economical. There are folks in the station who will point you in the right direction.

Friday - I haven't eaten there yet, but the Paramount always seems to get everyone's nod of approval. Not sure which Boston by Foot tour you were planning on at 10 a.m. I've been on a couple of them and I think they are great. Both tours ran a little longer so I'd say one a day is plenty or you may want to skip Boston by Foot and do the hop on / hop off trolley as you have a free ticket for it. I'd be flexible as to where you eat lunch. There are plenty of places to go. For the Sox game, the park opens two hours prior to game time. I always like to get there early. You can grab a bite to eat somewhere around the park or simply soak in the ambiance. I'd take the T there, and walk back if it's a decent night (I just can't stand crowding onto the T after a game so I usually walk down to Copley - If you are at the Radisson you might as well keep going all the way to your hotel. Estimating a 25 minute walk.

Saturday - good plans. Please note Bartley's is cash only and no bathroom!

Sunday- Whale watching tour may be too ambitious if you have to be at the airport at 2:30. If you didn't get to the Boston by Foot Tour previously you could pull off a 10 a.m. tour that day.

6. Re: Itinerary help - June 10th - June 13th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 07:20