We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Finding a Hotel

Bucks County
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Help Finding a Hotel

We will be traveling to Boston the first week of August. It will be myself, husband, and two teens--a boy and a girl. Our primary purpose is college visits, but we'd like to spend some time as tourists too.

We will be looking at schools in Cambridge, but plan to do the Freedom Trail, and maybe the duck tour. I was originally planning to do day trips with Boston as a home base (to Salem, Plymouth, Cape Cod), but I'm having trouble finding hotels. Boston hotels are extremely pricey, and we either need two rooms or a suite, to have three beds, as is required by our party.

I cannot find anything that meets our needs for much less than $400/night, and that is just outrageous. Ideally, we usually get a hotel room with two beds and a sleeper sofa, but I can't seem to find anything like that. Also, we will have a car, so hopefully we could find a place with free or low cost parking. We will travel around using public transportation.

Any ideas? I've been searching for weeks, without luck. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

How about you supply the exact dates you wish to be here and we can go from there?

Bucks County
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

Sure. I'm thinking July 31 - August 7th, but maybe taking off a few days at the end and staying at some of the locations we were planning to day trip to.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

Could you make two queen beds work? -- your husband and son share and you and your daughter? That would make things easier. I think if you tell Will your dates he is goint to search for rooms for you and he is pretty good at finding them.

Hotels in Boston don't have low-cost parking and free parking is out of the question. In fact hotels usually charge about $40 a day for parking and that might not include in and out privileges.

I never suggest this, but since you have a car and only looking at schools in Cambridge and you plan to spend most or your other days out of downtown Boston, maybe you should look outside the downtown. Doubletree Guest Suites on Soldiers Field Road could work. Even the Homewood Suites in Arlington, which is very close to the Alewife Red Line station that will bring you through Cambridge or into downtown.

Bucks County
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

Thanks for these suggestions; I will look into them. The two queen bed thing would not work well--my kids are used to sleeping alone (I guess that's a good thing!) I'd be happy staying in Cambridge. I just was not too sure where the hotels were in relation to T stops. And I'm a Hilton honors member, so your suggestions will hopefully work out well for us. I'll check them out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

I just looked on Hotwire for you and indeed the prices are higher than usual. BUT, there's still a couple of deals there to save you some money. July 31st-August 4th is the dates I used.

First, the 3 star Boston Park Plaza is listed for $149/nt. Older, historic hotel whose standard rooms could use some updating, but it's by no means a dump. Location is great. Very central location right across from the Public Garden and the Arlington T stop. So, very easy to get around either by walking or by using the T. I've heard they've renovated some of their rooms and turned them into double sized rooms with 2 bathrooms. Kinda like a suite I guess. If you went with this place, you could always check your room out, and if you didn't think it would work for your family, call down and see if you could pay slightly more to upgrade into a bigger room. Here's a look at the Park Plaza.

http://www.bostonparkplaza.com/

What appears to be the Holiday Inn Beacon Hill is also on Hotwire for those dates for $159/nt. Once again, a hotel that would work for you, but is by no means glamorous. H.I is also in a very good location for sightseeing the city. It's an older H.I. but still considered 3 stars.

It should be noted since you have kids that the Park Plaza does not have a swimming pool, but the H.I. has an outdoor one. Nothing great, but it's there..or was there last I knew.

Here's a look at the H.I. Beacon Hill

http://www.hisboston.com/hotels-boston-ma

There's not much else of value that I see on Hotwire for those dates.

Parking. If you were to choose either of these two hotels, don't use the hotel to park your car. Park it at the Boston Common Underground Garage. The 31st and the 1st will cost you $11/day but then it will jump up to $27/day beginning Monday. Nothing you can do about that. It beats paying the hotel $40/day to keep it parked.

Not sure what to tell you about the pullout sofa since you won't get one at either of these properties. If it's too awkward for the kids to sleep in the same bed then you'll have to request a rollaway bed for the room.

Finally, do any of these deals interest you? As you requested, I left off the final few days so you had the option to go elsewhere like Cape Cod.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

Just a few thoughts to add:

- As long as you're willing to put someone on a fold-out sofabed, the Residence Inn or Embassy Suites might work for you. There is a Residence Inn in Cambridge (walking distance to MIT and 2 stops on the T to Harvard) and another in Charlestown, and an Embassy Suites near the airport (not the best location, but not as inconvenient as you might think).

- Another way to go would be 2 rooms or a multi-bedded suite at a relatively inexpensive B&B in Cambridge. One that was recommended to me, although I haven't stayed there myself, was Blue's B&B in the Avon Hill neighborhood near Porter Square (about a 20-minute walk to Harvard, or 1 stop on the T; 3 stops to MIT). The place only has two rooms, so you'd rent them both and get 2 twins and a queen, for a combined $280 including breakfast. Irving House, which is a few blocks behind Harvard Yard, also has some rooms with 2 twins and a queen, and I imagine some of the others in the are might have something similar.

bluesbedandbreakfast.com/rooms_and_rates.html

- Finally, since you'll have your car and are interested in exploring the broader region, consider staying at a suburban hotel and "commuting" into town on the days you're visiting schools or doing urban sightseeing. Some locations are definitely better than others for this, so please follow up if you have questions. For access to Cambridge, you might try hotels in Waltham and Lexington where you can drive in pretty easily on Route 2.

Bucks County
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

I have spent the day researching all of you suggestions. I still can't believe that we cannot get a room with two or more beds in the entire city of Boston! We had a family discussion at dinner tonight, and it looks like everyone wants to sacrifice convenience for comfort.

Cabinet--I'm just curious why you said that you never usually recommend hotels in Cambridge. Is it just because most people do everything in Boston?

We will spend a day at MIT, a day at Harvard, and do the Freedom Trail another day. We also want to go to Salem, and then we will spend a few days on Cape Cod.

Can you please tell me how far Peabody will be for us from these locations? As I said, we will have a car. Is there a best place for us to drive and park to? I'm assuming we should still use public transportation.

Thanks again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

Okay, jajsmom, we aren't done yet.

I think (I hope) this place might be exactly what you're looking for.

It's a place we recommend quite frequently on this board and I'm surprised I didn't think of it sooner. It's called the Hyatt Place Medford/Boston and it's located in Medford, about 5 miles from downtown Boston. Here's the particulars on this place.

First, it's available on the dates you're looking for. You would be getting 2 double beds PLUS a pullout sofa. If you're a AAA member it's $135/nt and I think the regular rate was $150 or $159/nt. 42" flat screen TV in room, free wifi, free parking, free continental breakfast, indoor pool. For what you want to do, it's a great place to stay so look at the room pictures, check with the fam, and see what they think.

They used to operate a guest shuttle to take you to the T station, but I didn't see it listed when I looked. They may still have it but I'm not sure. If they don't, no worries, it's a 5 minute drive to the Wellington T station where you can park for $5 and take the T into the city. Hyatt Place to M.I.T.? Take the orange line from Wellington to Downtown Crossing, transfer onto a red line train to Kendall/MIT stop. half an hour and $2 per person later and you're there. Same trip for Harvard except take the red line to Harvard stop which is just a couple stops further than MIT. Want to explore Boston? Just hop off at Downtown Crossing, walk up to the Common and the start of the Freedom Trail.

So, this hotel might be the one. You should strongly consider it. I'll leave you thr link for the hotel and a link to see traveler reviews. The only thing I see anyone complain about is you can hear trafiic noise if staying on the highwayd facing side of the hotel. Simply request they put you away from the highway.

Oh, and finally, Salem is easily reached from this hotel. Figure 30-40 minute drive. For Cape Cod, you'll need to drive back thru the city and head south for that.

Hope this helps you out.

…hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/place/index.jsp

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g41671-d9412…

Bucks County
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

Thanks Will. I checked this out, and it does have potential. I'll have to talk to the family tomorrow. Two beds and a sleeper--hard to find. I'll have to see if my son wants to visit Tufts too, since it's right there.

Can you tell me how far away Peabody is, and the best way to commute by subway from there? I was looking at Homewood Suites Boston-Peabody, and would love any info you could give me on that hotel too. Thanks for your help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Finding a Hotel

I'll be honest and say that I'm not all that familiar with Peabody and the towns up on the North Shore. But there's many here who are, so it's best to leave Peabody to those who can give you the most accurate info.

Good Luck! ;)