We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We just returned from our 3rd amazing trip to Boston, May 27th thru June 2nd. We again purchased the 5 day GoBoston Card and found it to save us time and money.

Thursday - arrived in Boston - Boston Public Library free tour. Very interesting and beautiful building. The couple we were traveling with actually wanted to research a family member they learned was a Reverend in Boston and had some writings published and sermons at Trinity.

Friday-Peter Pan Bus to Newport. It was a nice bus ride (I know we were too chicken to drive ourselves) then we jumped on the trolley to the mansions - Breakers and Marble House - and a short walk on the Cliff Walk. Mansions are unbelievable- great day trip.

Saturday - Theater on Wheels Tour. That was a fun tour - if you like movies and even if you don't. We went to the L Street Tavern (where Departed was filmed) and met some regulars and had a lot of fun talking to them. Season ticket holder and funeral home owner (O'Brien) telling us stories about the Red Sox and living in South Boston.

Gibson House - interesting house on Beacon Street if you like old homes which I do but it was hot in there.

Red Sox game -we won 1-0

Sunday - Beantown Trolley made a circle all the way around and then went to the game Sunday afternoon which we also won. It was extremely hot even for a Florida native.

Harvard Square and Yard - just walked around - went to Mr. Bartley's Burger but forgot it is closed on Sunday. Will definitely go back and spend more time in that area.

Monday - Boston Harbor and Locks Tour. It was ok going through the locks but I think next time I would do the Charles River Boat and then a separate Harbor Cruise. It seems like we spent most of the time waiting for the bridge to raise and then for the locks to open. Little time for actual views.

Freedom Trail Walking Tour -our guide usually does the tours for the school children. She was very good and spoke loud and clear, I guess a habit of talking over kids and trying to keep their attention. It was nice to be able to hear everything she said and not have to strain to listen. Rode the trolley again because you get different stories from different drivers.

Tuesday - MFA - what a place, especially the Egyptian Exhibit.

Fenway Park Tour - can never get enough of Fenway!

Christian Scientist Church free tour and Mapparian - another beautiful Church with great history.

Wednesday - Sam Adams Brewery - if you like free beer this is the place to go. They are very giving in their tasting room and you get a small Sam Adams glass (cute) and this tour is free too! They asked for a $2 donation.

Fly home to hot humid Florida - bummer!

We ate at the Bleacher Bar which was a lot of fun, Ye Old Union Oyster House - had Lobster Ravioli and Clam Chowder which were both good. Cheers just because we were tourists but the food was not good (I know I should have listened) and it was very crowded and loud, will not be going back there. Legal Sea Food which has always been good no matter what I have gotten there and Summer Shack.

We bought the 7 day T Card for $15 at the airport vending machine and got our money's worth. Subway is very easy to use.

Thank you Boston for another great visit!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Sox Fan!

GREAT report as always. It's been awhile since you were here so I forgot you and the fam were coming up here. It sounds like another enjoyable trip!

Sox Fan, you've been to Boston three times now and you decided to eat at Cheers? Haha, shame on you! J/K. At least now you know that it's a place to take your picture out front and move on.

I have a few questions for you...

Lots of people to the forum always ask about Peter Pan bus. Is it reliable? Was the boarding process chaotic? Buses in decent shape? Overall, would you recommend them?

There's been some bigtime complaints about the Beatown Trolley. Old Town and Upper Deck trolleys have been getting great reviews. I know the Beantown comes with the Go card so you have to use them. Any problems getting your tickets using the Go Card? Did you have to wait a long time for another trolley to come by or did you never disembark once you were on it?

I did the Mapparium last year and while I found the stained glass Globe beautiful, I was left underwhelmed overall. I did find the acoustics to be amazing but there was so many of us on the little bridge that it kinda ruined it. How was your experience?

Sorry for such questions, but they end up being very helpful to us and future visitors.

Thanks again for a great report. I'm glad you guys had fun and we'll see ya next time!

Edited: 05 June 2010, 03:29
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the TR soxfan! Lots of good tips in there. Looking forward to seeing you again.

florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

I know I know - we were a sucker for Cheers. You disembark the Movie Tour right in front of Cheers and it was 1:30 and we were hungry so what the heck....been there done that but DID NOT buy the T-shirt.

Answer to your questions Will007-

Peter Pan Bus-ok so my husband was reluctant to get on a bus named Peter Pan but we did, boarding at South Station. South Station itself was a little confusing but once we found our way to the bus terminal (just follow the signs) it was very easy. I had purchased and printed tickets online so boarding was easy and the trip was very comfortable and on time. Just a ride to get from point A to point B with no narration except when someone cut us off and we almost hit them - then we got some horn and a little narration! We have noticed the drivers in Boston love their horn. As we maneuvered the roads I was glad we took the bus.

Beantown Trolley - with the GoBoston Card you have to get your boarding pass at either Prudential or Quincy Market ticket booths. That was not a problem since we were at the Hilton Back Bay and right next to the Pru. We did get on and off a few times and even though we didn't have to wait too long for another trolley it seem like some of the others passed by us several times before Beantown came by. We got off and on at the Old State House, Aquarium area, and Fenway. We also ate at Jerry Remy's Sports Bar near Fenway. It was packed since it was lunchtime just before Sunday afternoons game but we only had to wait 15 minutes and the food was good and portions big.

Mapparium - I agree if it had not been free with the GoBoston Card I would have been disappointed. Since it was free and again right next door to where we were staying I just figured...been there done that. The acoustics was the most interesting thing and since I was not really interested in geography in school I did learn where some countries were that I always wondered about.

Anyone wondering if there is enough to do and see in Boston - this was our 3rd week long trip and other then the ballgames we have not repeated any attractions. Between the city and the many day trips you can take you can stay as busy as you want or just relax sitting on a bench or in a bar people watching. Already planning next years trip!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for the great trip report Soxfaninfl. Glad to hear you did that movie tour. You know it's pretty funny to me that they bring people to the L

Street Tavern as one of the stops, my cousin used to live upstairs from it & now, here it is famous the world over, lol! Of course it's ALL cleaned up in their now, from how it looked (way) back when. To my friends and I it was always the "old timers" bar back in the 70's & early 80's. You know, with the saw dust on the floor & you'd hurry to walk by it especially if you saw the door open in case some one was getting thrown out of there--quick!

You did a lot while you were here in that short time, even getting to Newport, that was a smart move taking the Peter Pan bus, I even get nervous when I drive on RI roads, believe it or not. Every ones in a hurry down there it seems!

Once again, thank you for your detailed & outstanding trip report, we treasure reading them here on TA, so don't hesitate, keep them coming!

Edited: 05 June 2010, 13:52
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,865 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for a very good detailed TR soxfan you did a lot of navigating here and it always nice to go to the MFA have not been in years buts its very good too see great works of art,and the BPL one of the best places to do research and you did good for you,glad you had a great time.

florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

NoMo01,

That is very cool about the L Street and I actually said Departed was filmed there but meant Good Will Hunting. On the movie tour we went to several Departed shot spots like where Martin Sheen was thrown off the building and landed in front of Leonardo DiCaprio They even let us reenact the scene with someone laying on the spot! Kinda corny but a lot of fun. We stayed an hour at the L Street and I think the highlight was talking to the "oldtimers". I asked them what they thought about all these tourists invading their bar and he said they called us "peepers"! We could have stayed there all afternoon sitting on the bar stool just talking to them.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

thanks for the tr....Newport is a blast and the mode of transportation you choose, was a good way to travel.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

A few of my friends from the neighborhood know that guy O'Brien you were talking to from the Funeral Home.

That's right it was "Good Will Hunting" that kicked the L Street Tavern off. I used to go to "Sal & Betty's" for their delicious italian sandwiches, when it was directly on the other corner from the Tavern, as a matter of fact it was at E.8th & Marine road, but since then it closed, such a shame, but that's life now in a nutshell for a lot of places like that, they're gone but not forgotten.

9. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2010, 06:20