We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
271 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

I'm flying into Logan Airport and want to take the ferry to Provincetown.

I know there are two ferry lines. I believe Boston Harbor Cruises leaves from Central Wharf near the Aquarium, while Bay State leaves from near the World Trade Center.

Which one is easiest to get to from the airport. Should I take a cab or a water taxi or some other way to get there.

I'll be landing at the airport about 11:00 am on a weekday. How much time should I plan to get from the airport to the ferry.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
985 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

Either ferry line is easily accessible from the airport by public transportation, the MBTA .

For the Boston Harbor Cruises ferry, take the free airport shuttle to the Blue Line subway stop. Take the Blue Line inbound to Aquarium Station. Exit the station at the Aquarium end of the platform (where the train entered the station) and you will be next to Boston Harbor Cruises ticket office.

For Bay State, get the Silver Line bus in front of your airport terminal and get off at the World Trade Center stop. You will be about two short blocks from the ferry terminal. The Boston Harbor Cruises dock is probably slightly more convenient.

Either trip should take a half an hour or so from the time you leave the airport terminal, including walking from the subway station to the ferry. If traffic is not a problem, a taxi will be slightly faster.

There is MBTA ferry service from Logan Airport to Long Wharf (Boston Harbor Cruises) but it runs only every hour or so. There are trips departing Logan at 11:50am, 12:20pm, and 1:10pm. There is a free shuttle bus to the airport ferry and water taxi terminal. The actual ferry trip is 10 min., but allow about half an hour including connections at both ends.

There is also water taxi service from Logan to both ferry lines but I don't know much about the details. The subway or harbor ferry will cost $2.00. I think the water taxi is around $12. Because of tunnel tolls and fees, even the relatively short taxi ride will probably be between $20 and $30.

Edited: 06 June 2010, 03:35
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

There is no MBTA harbor ferry from Logan to Boston or the other way around. The Water Taxi is an on-demand service and it costs $10 a person, or $17 round trip.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

Scheduled Water Shuttle Service:

MBTA Harbor Express

"This is a daily, year-round scheduled service between Quincy and Hull on the South Shore, Logan Airport, and Long Wharf in downtown Boston. The vessel service is part of the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) system. The service offers the following features:

State-of-the-art high-speed catamaran vessels providing a direct and comfortable ride in heated / air conditioned passenger cabins

Bow-loading vessels that provide wheelchair accessibility

Food and beverage service, and restrooms are available on-board

Advance and bulk ticket purchase "

this is taken from the massport web.....www.massport.com

this will be aore comfortable ride than the water taxi.

When I am at the logan hyatt, I see them pulling up at a decent clip

long wharf to the aquarium is a ten minute walk along the water

to commonwealth peir is about the same.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 16:01
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

For the orginal poster: The connection to the ferry docks is relatively easy, as noted above. My only other suggestion would be that you could consider staying at Logan and flying straight to P-town on Cape Air. The fare is a bit higher than the ferry, but it's a very quick (25-minute) flight and saves you having to make the subway/taxi connections. It would be particularly convenient if your inbound flight comes into Terminal C (e.g. on Jet Blue or United) since you'd have a same-terminal connection.

BTW, this issue about the MBTA harbor ferry has come up before and it would be nice to have definitive word for future reference. As I understand it, the MBTA ferry does travel between Logan and Long Wharf, but (for whatever reason) it does not accept passengers who are only traveling between those two points? Is that correct?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

That is correct, as dumb as it sounds!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

Just out of curiosity, I called the mbta to ask what would happen if I boarded the Harbor Express Boat at the Airport and got off at Long Wharf. The answer is "nothing" as long as I paid the $12 fare as if I was going to Hingham or Quincy. So I guess you really CAN use it, but you'd be paying more than it costs on the Water Taxi ($10), so why bother.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 20:56
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

take whichever comes first.

You are not going to get much of a view with the water taxi. The mbta boat is large and the view of boston will be nicer, as well as the overall journey.

8. Re: How to get to Provincetown Ferry from Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 06:22