We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night in Boston

Miami
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
One Night in Boston

Flying into Boston, spending a week on Martha's Vineyard and will have a night and the better part of 2 days in Boston before we fly out. We are 2 adults, with kids 20, 8 and 6.

We are looking to get a quick but good taste of the City. It's a first time visit for the kids, but we don't want to kill ourselves trying to pack too much in, especially after a relaxing week on the Cape. Right now we have a reservation at the Westin Copley Place.

What are your thoughts on the hotel, its location for us and list of must see/do activities? If you had one night to eat in the City, where it would be?

Thanks.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Night in Boston

Westin Copley Place is fine. If I had one night to eat in the city I would go to the North End and just walk around and find some place that looks nice.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Night in Boston

The hotel and it's location are good. To get a quick overview of the city you should take a Duck Tour or Hop/On Hop Off trolley tour. There are hundreds of restaurants, it depends on what you like, price range, ambiance, etc.

Miami
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Night in Boston

Not a fan of tours or anything like that.

Restaurant wise looking for something nice, with local atmosphere, but ok for (mostly) well behaved kids.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 21:39
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Night in Boston

Eats, first. I think you might also consider going to one of the famous Legal Seafoods here. We locals really do go there. They have some non-seafood, if your kids aren't into seafood, and the food is good. Don't go to the super busy one in the Prudential mall (it's always mobbed). There is one on or near "Park Square" which is about 4 blocks from your hotel -- you'll be walking towards downtown. There is also one on the water near the N.E. Aquarium, and there are one or two over in the Seaport district as well. It might be a fun thing to walk around the waterfront near the Aquarium, it's got boats and wharves, plus the Aquarium displays seals in a tank OUTSIDe its building (free). You could also include Faneuil Hall and walk along the Boston waterfront, over towards Rowes Wharf which is very beautiful. I'm not sure, but think the "Tea Party" museum -- as in the Revolutionary War -- might be out of commission right now. It used to be located close to Rowes Wharf, or just over "the channel" into the Seaport District. (a map will make all this clear). If you cross the channel another attraction is the Children's Museum. Think it's located right on Fort Point Channel. It has a fun snack bar housed in a gigantic milk bottle, so look for the milk bottle. It might be worth taking one of the boat rides, perhaps just the public ferry that goes from downtown Boston over to Charlestown, or the ferry from downtown Boston out to the Boston Harbor Islands. All really fun things to do, that combine historic Boston with modern big-city Boston.

Miami
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Night in Boston

Thanks for the advice.

Do you think we would be better off at a hotel in the North End, Public Gardens or somewhere else instead of Copley Place for walking from the hotel ease?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Night in Boston

Everything is very close. A lot of people in this forum seem to prefer the Back Bay (e.g. the Westin Copley Place) - personally I think it would be more fun, especially for a family, to stay near Quincy Market, so some place like the Parker House, Millenium, Marriot Custom House, Marriot Long Wharf would be my choice.

After a week in MV I doubt you'll be looking to eat seafood but there are of course a number of good places if that's what you want. I think the North End is a really nice place to explore in the evening for your "one night in Boston"...

I guess you don't say when you will be here but I assume it's this summer (it makes a huge difference what the season is, in this part of the world. :-). If it's a nice summer evening, I would recommend walking down to the Public Garden and back up to the North End. It's all nice.

Miami
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Night in Boston

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines. The Omni Parker House seems like it has the best location, though the reviews say the rooms are small.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One Night in Boston

The key here is that everything is indeed close to each other. Why change from a good hotel in the Westin Copley Place just because? The Back Bay is a very nice, very vibrant, very safe area to stay in. Not that the other areas mentioned aren't, but it's so easy to get between them that I would stay with your current hotel. If you don't feel like walking then it's easy enough to walk over to either the Copley or Back Bay T stations and catch the T to wherever you need to go.

If you're now intent on staying closer to Faneuil Hall then that's fine. But I think you can cross off the Millenium unless you want to pay for 2 rooms and you do indeed have to be careful with the room sizes at the Parker House.

It's whatever you want to do, but just remember that it's only a couple miles from the Back Bay to the Waterfront.

9. Re: One Night in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 08:19