We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 vacation days in Boston

Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3 vacation days in Boston

First visit to Boston for us and looking for hotel suggestions and recommedations for dinner/food and sightseeing. We will have a car but also nice to also be able to walk around. Appreciate any and all suggestions. Budget wise, wide open. This may be our first and last visit so I don't mind paying.

P.S. After Boston, we are heading to Providence for a few days. Cuirious if we shoul dmake time for any visits along the way.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,554 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 vacation days in Boston

You really don't need a car in Boston and most hotels charge $35+ per night to park it. You should see Boston and then pick up a car for your drive to providence.

:Providence isn't that far, It's pretty much straight highway ... you may want to detour off to someplace like New Bedford or some place but it's not necessary ....

In order to best advise you on hotels, it would help if you could tell us how much you'd like to spend and what time of year you'll be here.

Generally speaking ... the best areas for a tourist to be in are "downtown" or Quincy Market Area, financial district, back bay, beacon hill or waterfront. The Seaport district is coming along, with the convention center, a couple of new hotels and some new restaruants, but it's a bit removed from the most popular tourist attractions ... although the silver line (underground bus) to South Station is a viable option from there.

Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 vacation days in Boston

Thank you for your message and advice. We are plannng to arrive Boston late August. Budget wise, up to $300 per night. Makes sense regading the car rental.

Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 vacation days in Boston

Hi, Warren

Does "us" mean you and your wife or the family? I looked around at dates towards the end of August for 2 people and I can highly recommend any of these hotels. Most, but not all, will have you teetering right around that $300/nt mark.

I'll tell you a little bit about each hotel as well.

If you would like me to look on a discount travel site like Hotwire for you, let me know and I'll be glad to tell you what's there for your dates in Boston. There may be some serious savings there for you.

The Marriott Custom House. It's an all suites hotel that is set in one of the most iconic, historic buildings in Boston. It's location is excellent. Right between all the action around Faneuil Hall Marketplace and the Waterfront. Walkable to the Italian North End. There's plenty of places to eat all around here though.

Another one in the same area is the Millenium Bostonian Hotel. Right next to the Marketplace. Hotel underwent a $25 million renovation just last year.

The next one is The Lenox Hotel. It's located in the upscale, bustling Back Bay neighborhood. Lots of bars and restaurants in this neighborhood as well. Back Bay offers a ton of shoppin so if that is in your plans, a stay here would be perfect. The Lenox is one of those historic, old world charm hotels, elegant and nicely appointed. It's in a fantasic location and the service at this hotel is hard to beat. That's one of the big reasons it's been rated #1 on TripAdvisor for so long. It was also named to this years Travel & Leisure's Top 500 hotels in the world.

Also in the Back Bay and another excellent hotel is The Back Bay Hotel. Used to be called Jurys, but it's now under the Doyle Collection of hotels after they split. This is another comfortable, nicely appointed hotel with excellent customer service. And it's also another building with quite a history. It used to be the headquarters for the Boston Police. Thus the name of their bar is called Cuffs.

Finally, and in the Downtown between the Waterfront and the Back Bay is the Nine Zero Hotel. It's a Kimpton Hotel and another hotel that is very warm, stylish, comfortable. Another hotel that offers top notch customer service. Location is right near the Boston Common.

So, poke around and take a look at those hotels if you'd like. They would all make for a nice few days in Boston.

As already mentioned, you DO NOT need nor want to have a car in Boston. It's a fabulous walking city supplemented nicely with the T, our public transit system. Just about anywhere a tourist might want to visit, the T will take you there if you don't feel like walking or it's a little too far to walk. Rent the car when it's time to go to Providence.

There's not a whole lot worth stopping for between Boston and Providence. It's pretty much suburbia with a highway that runs between them. I would just make my way to Providence direct.

Once in Providence, try and make a visit to both Newport and the beach towns of South County. Both are worth the trip.

As far as what to see or where to eat in Boston, that all depends on yourselves. Tell us the sorts of things that usually interests you, e.g. museums, outdoors & recreational, historical sites (which is really a must if visiting Boston), walking tours, food tours, movie tours, bicycle tours, trolley tours? When you visit another city and dine out, do you look for hole in the wall bargain spots with good food, middle of the road, or upscale dining?

The more you speak about yourselves and your wishes, the better we can make your few days here the best possible.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 05:27
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 vacation days in Boston

Newport, RI would be a nice place to visit -- manisons, Cliff Walk, restaurants, etc.

Are you going to Providence for a specific reason?

Level Contributor
465 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 vacation days in Boston

We are staying at the Back Bay again from July 6th until 9th. It is a great hotel and the rooms are spacious.

Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 vacation days in Boston

Since you are interested in Rhode Island, I'll suggest you have a rental car there. There are beautiful beautiful towns in Rhode Island, and also some sad industrial areas. Newport was mentioned -- this is well worth a visit. The other areas that I think are beautiful are around Bristol and Barrington, and around Little Compton (near Westport, Massachusetts). Also Point Judith, which is over towards the Connecticut side of the state. Providence is great too -- it has great architecture and a unique identity, so I hope you can spend the better part of a day there. Have you heard about the "Waterfire" thing in Providence? Here's the link: http://www.waterfire.org/

But I'm not sure if the schedule will fit. If it did, it might be worth staying the night in Providence.

Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 vacation days in Boston

Yes, Newport....I would even go as far to think about spending one night there.

8. Re: 3 vacation days in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 06:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question