We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

Meeting up with family in Boston on our way to Maine. Flight gets in at 7:30 Saturday morning. Since it is so early we decided to leave NJ early Friday and spend 1/2 day doing something in Boston. We have a 3 year old and an active 20 month old to entertain, but go to bed early. We wanted to stay at a hotel near the airport that has shuttle service so he could meet us at the hotel when the flight gets in. The Embassy Suits looked good because of location, pool, breakfast and price. Is Piers Park a good place to take the kids? It seem like there is enough to do and it is close to the hotel. If not what else do you suggest.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

I've never been to Piers Park, so I defer to others' expertise, but yes, it certainly looks nice, with a playground, water-play area, and the long waterfront promenade. And parking!

If it turns out to be a rainy day (or just too hot to stay outside for very long), you can also make a quick trip to the Children's Museum -- take the Silver Line bus from any airport terminal to the Courthouse station (about a 10-15 minute ride), and the Museum is just a block or two away. (You can also drive in & park if that's easier, though the Silver Line gets you just as close as the parking lots/garages.) The exhibits there are great and your kids are just the right age. There's a special toddler zone for the younger one.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

Peirs Park is relatively close by. It has all the things mentioned, plus bathrooms. It isn't huge though, and you'd need to byo picnic lunch or something.

Another place that is closer to your hotel is the Bremen Street park. It has similar amenities, but no view. Parking is on the street but usually available. Next up for your consideration is constitution beach which is easily accessible via the blue line or car from the embassy suites. It's an interesting beach ... with the airport runways clearly visible from the beach.

http://www.brownrowe.com/BremenStreetPark.htm

bostonharborwalk.com/placestogo/location.php…

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

Sounds like a nice plan, my kids enjoy both Piers Park and Bremen Street Park.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

Do you think we should stay someplace else so we could do something different?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

Is your only plan in Boston to meet up with family before going to Maine? Or are you planning on touring in Boston, too?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

If your plan is to be in East Boston for less than 24 hours and visit family, I think it's a perfectly logical plan. If you want to see the city or Salem or other sites, then you may want to think about other possibilities.

There was a family who stayed there in the winter and had all sorts of good things to say about it ....

I assume you are renting a car to go to Maine? Will you pick it up when you first arrive or the next morning as you are leaving?

There's lots of things to do downtown for little ones, such as the frog pond, Froggy's Play Ground (also some water there) and the Children's Museum. the Swan Boats .... some kids even love the Duck Tour ... but if you want to sit and visit with your family, I think Piers Park or the Bremen Street Park are ideal ... the downtown spots are larger (especially the frog pond) and will be more crowded which makes keeping an eye on your kids more 'work' if you know what I mean.

In my opinion, the other parks are just "easier". But only you know what your objective for this time is and how to make it work best for your family.

Edited: 25 June 2010, 14:28
New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

We are leaving South Jersey Friday (driving) morning to pick my brother-in-law up at the airport Saturday morning and leaving for Maine right after. His flight gets in at 7:30 am. We can stay anywhere and do anything. I just don't think the kids would not be very good on a tour. A park, if it is nice or the aquarium or children's museum if the weather is bad are good options. I would like to stay near the airport so he could take the shuttle to our hotel. We don't mind driving to go some place.

Thanks for all the advice, you have been really helpful !

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

Ah-ha!! I was confused about the airport/car situation.

I think your plan is a good one. As you know .... when dealing with little ones, flexibility and convenience are important. From where you are you can drive to the Chidlren's Museum or Aquarium in about 20 minutes (and pay to park of course) or get there via public transportation as mentioned already.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

If the weather is bad and you do decide to go to the Children's Museum, they validate parking for a discounted rate or you can take a chance on getting a meter. Public Transport is pretty easy too. Just take the Silver Line and get off at the Moakley Courthouse. It's a block and half away from the museum.

Another option for a sunny day is to hang at the Rose Kennedy Greenway. The kids can get wet in the fountains, take a ride on the carousel. They can play at Christopher Columbus Park, then walk over and see the Harbor Seals in the outside tank at the New England Aquarium. From your hotel, take the Blue Line subway line and get off at the Aquarium Station.

Enjoy!

http://www.bostonkids.org/plan/parking.html

http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/

bostonharborwalk.com/placestogo/location.php…

10. Re: Piers Park, good for 1/2 day near airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 06:17