We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No hotels in Lynn??

san francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
No hotels in Lynn??

Hi,

I'm going to be visiting my parents in Lynn in July. I'm very surprised to find NO hotel listings, 0!, for Lynn. I know it's not much of a place, but I was told it's actually the largest town in MA. I found one B&B. I was hoping for something very budget. The B&B does not meet that requirement. I planned on staying at my parents'. but for the sake of my sanity, would prefer to have at least one night in a hotel. Any ideas?

I won't have a car, but walking or bus is no issue. In fact, I like to walk alot, so anywhere w/in Lynn that is not too bad an area is ok w/me.

Thanks!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

I really don't think there are any hotels in Lynn anymore, just 1 or 2 B&Bs. The downtown hotel (name escapes me) is now a boarding house, I believe. Here are a few ideas: 1) There are some lower cost hotels in Revere that would be accessible via bus. 2) There's a Days Inn in Danvers across the street from the Liberty Tree Mall; you could get there by bus. 3) Motel 6 in Danvers is on Route 1 near the intersection of Route 114; you could take the bus to Liberty Tree Mall or North Shore Mall in Peabody and have a long walk to the motel. 4) Beverly Garden Suites is across the street from the North Beverly train station; you could take the commuter rail there from Lynn. Here's a link to the MBTA if you want to check bus and train schedules and routes:

http://mbta.com/

Hope this helps.

san francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

Thanks for the reply. I also found some links and website for this place: http://www.oceanviewbandb.com . But cannot find any reviews anywhere on it. I don't know if it's still in business. There was another one that come up on here on TA, the Red Maple, but it, too, has no reviews and appears to be defunct. Weird. Isn't Lynn supposed to be the biggest town (population or area, or something??) in MA? THat's what my parents said, anyway....

If anyone knows anything about either the Oceanview, or any way to get a good deal at the other B&B that actually does have reviews, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

I too find it puzzling that a city of Lynn's size is hotel-less, but that seems to be the case. Lynn is a city not a town, and it's definitely doesn't have the largest population in MA. But it has somewhere around 100,000 people living there last I knew. One would think it should have at least one hotel? Weird.

Anyways, have you looked in to this Captain Jacks Inn in nearby Swampscott? It's right on the water, gets solid reviews and is only a few miles from Lynn.

http://www.capnjacks.com/index.htm

Edited: 29 June 2010, 07:15
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

Hotels are generally built near highways and large businesses. Lynn has neither. I never heard it called the "largest" anything, but I do know it is big. With that in mind, while there are buses, it may not be an easy trip from where you stay to where your parents live. The trip planner on www.mbta.com will be very useful to you.

I drove by the Oceanview B&B last week. The location, not far from the Swampscott boarder, is fine, and the sign is still up. You'll need to call to see if they are still in operation.

Another option might be Joan's B&B in Peabody, not far from the Lynn boarder. I've never stayed there but I hung out with one of her kids a million years ago and remember Joan as quite gracious. The few reviews she has are very good. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41762-d629126-…

With regard to my concern about travel ... I entered a trip from Joan's B&B to a burger king on Boston St Lynn and I got a trip that involved 1 bus and they said '10 minutes' .... which I believe is underestimated, but it's an easy trip.

Then I entered another trip from Joan's to a rehab/nursing facility on Birch street ... that trip involves three buses and is estimated at 52 minutes.

A trip from Oceanview B&B to a florist on Broadway involves 2 buses and is estimated at 66 minutes.

No need to answer, but I have a nosey question ... how did your parents end up in Lynn ... I take it you didn't grow up there and it's not exactly the retirement capital or business center of Massachusetts. ;)

Edited: 29 June 2010, 12:19
Boston
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

GE aviation in Lynn is a very large company.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

Lynn is the largest city on the North Shore population-wise and was once its commercial hub, while Salem was more the center of county government. Now it struggles. General Electric employed a huge proportion of residents at one time, but has drastically scaled back its presence in Lynn. Forgotmypword is correct that the lack of highways through the city and lack of businesses are the main reasons that it does not have hotels.

Anyway, FWIW, I do know someone who stayed at Joan's B&B and was quite happy there. This was a friend-of-a-friend so I don't know what this person's expectations and standards are/were, but it's worth checking out.

Moving off-topic a bit, though Lynn lacks hotels, it does have restaurants. Two that I want to try based on good reviews are Turbine Bar and Blue Ox.

Edited: 29 June 2010, 13:58
Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

The beach area is where you would want to stay in Lynn. As was suggested here the Oceanview B&B located at 11 Ocean Street would be a good choice. Did you happen to get the rates for this one yet, it's not bad. The Diamond District Inn is another good one that you could check out, but I think that one might be a little more expensive, what a beauty though right near the beach. Both of them are actually nice. The place Will007 suggested is a really good one too in Swampscott, it's the next town heading north along Rte 1-A.

Joans B&B looks perfect too, I read the reviews on it and WOW people love that one, so look in to that one while you're investigating these B&B's.

For the heck of it, I checked the Winthrop Arms Inn in Winthrop but forget about that one, you would be well over 2 hours by the "T" and walking to get to Lynn from there every day, that's crazy, it's more sensible for you to stay right in Lynn at one of the B&B's.

Preferably near the beach at one of the B&B's or Inns suggested here by all the above, you're better off, plus it's a beautiful time of year to be along Rte 1-A any way. Then just walk and/or take a bus or hop in a taxi to wherever your parents are located in "Lynn Lynn The City of Sin, You Never Go Out The Way You Went In" ....Kidding! It's an old jingle about the City that goes way back!

Since you won't have a car, If you wanted to go in to Boston one thing about this City, at least Lynn is close & public transportation is a quick way to get into town! Unfortunately Massachusetts still has not extended the Blue Line on the "T" further north than Revere, so you'd have to commute to Revere by bus (Either the #441 or the #442 which stops at Central Square) to get right to the subway (Blue Line service is at Wonderland Station), jump on the commuter rail line (Purple line- also at Central Square) or just take a bus the #441, 442, 454 or the 455 which all run right through Lynn & in to Boston.

Good luck!

Edited: 29 June 2010, 14:05
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

GE is nowhere as large as it once was. In fact, I no longer personally know anybody who works there .... but I still know several people who are NOT of retirement age who USED to work there and were laid off years ago.

Boston
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

I believe there are around 4000 employees now at GE. I do remember when they were up around 10,000 in the late 80's.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No hotels in Lynn??

Sad isn't it BostonTman? Was it Norelco that was also a big employer there ... what was in the "clock tower" building near Garelick Farms (former West Lynn Creamery)?