We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good taxi recommendation from airport...

lodon
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good taxi recommendation from airport...

who might be able to include a car seat for the journey into the city??

Anyone any thoughts on this? Am trying to avoid getting the subway if possible, but traveling with a one year old into Back Bay area.

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
443 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

I think you'd be better off looking into a private car company (as opposed to a regular cab).

Boston
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

I'm not sure how or if you can get a taxi with a car seat. However, if you reserve a car from a car service such as Boston Coach they will be able to accomodate you. Not sure of the cost.

https:/…start

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

I know it is a pain, but I would bring your own. Some of the car seats provided are gross and usually too old and out of date. Cars seats have an expiration date and limo companies usually don't comply.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

Bringing a car seat might be a good idea. I think it would be a good idea to use it on the plane, too.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

Most parents do bring their own child seats. A limo would cost around $100 each way, so by the time you get through, you might as well have bought a car seat here. The alternative most often used is the "T".

Unfortunately, what I had answered you previously in your "Last Minute Questions" still holds true about the car seats.

Edited: 01 July 2010, 22:11
lodon
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

I;ve been digging around and even Boston Cab private companies say they want parents to provide and fit their own child seats.

It actually looks like it turns out cheaper to hire a car for a few hours and drop it off in the city. Silly and arduous but looks like our only option. Rather than the subway, and i really think that might be harder with all our many bags!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

The rental car option isn't necessarily a bad idea, but (at the risk of repeating myself) I do think that you should at least consider taking the subway, or more likely having one parent take all of the luggage by taxi while the other parent takes Baby on the subway.

In my opinion, this would be less of a hassle than getting yourself over to the rental car location on the shuttle bus, doing the paperwork, fitting the carseat (Hertz will NOT do this for you), driving into Boston on unfamiliar roads, looking for a parking space or double-parking in front of your rental apartment while unloading, then returning the rental car downtown and taking the T or a taxi back to the apartment.

Riding our subway is not as arduous as taking the Tube -- it's a relatively small system, stations are not very deep underground, and all trains are air-conditioned. Connecting from one line to another is just a matter of walking up one set of stairs. You'll see lots of wee'uns on the trains with their parents.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

Why don't you just bring your own car seat and fit it intot he taxi yourself?

This is an old thread, but the info might still be useful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k156670…

lodon
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

Really don't want to bring our car seat. It's big, heavy, and we have a few internal flights so really don't want to lug it when we can hire them from car hire companies.

Hhmmm, maybe the subway is the way to go then? I'm guessing it's a simple enough route if i ask for directions. And we arrive late afternoon so will feel pretty safe to the uninitiated!

And hell yeah, if i can handle the Tube...

What sort of price is a taxi to Hereford St, and the subway?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Good taxi recommendation from airport...

A taxi from the airport to Hereford would be right around $40 with tip.

Here's what you would need to do for the subway - walk out of terminal and take the free Massport shuttle bus the very short drive to the Airport T station. Take the blue line inbound to Gov't Center station and change to the green line westbound - any green line train labeled B,C, or D will do. (don't take E). Take green line to Hynes station, walk down Newbury Street 1 block and take a left on Hereford. I think you said your place is at Hereford & Beacon - that's about 3 blocks up Hereford from Newbury Street. It sounds very involved, but it's not bad at all. Should take you around an hour to complete from terminal to your place and will cost you and hubby $2 each.

Mentioned in this post
Newbury Street
Newbury Street
2,162 Reviews
Boston, MA