We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Trip-Boston Leg

South Bend, IN
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
New England Trip-Boston Leg

My family (husband and two teenaged daughters) will be in Boston for 4 nights beginning July 7. We are staying at the Hyatt Place Hotel in Medford. We are hoping to use public transportation as much as possible. So.... Any suggestions on what we can do, where we can go, any good day trips? We like the historical sites, shopping, and being outdoors. Our trip also includes a stop at Cape Cod and Bar Harbor, Maine. Any suggestions, helpful hints would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Trip-Boston Leg

You'll enjoy staying at that Hyatt Place in Medford. They have a shuttle service that will pick you up at Logan and drop you off at the hotel. It goes to the train stations as well. There's also a bus right across the way from the Hotel that you can take if you miss the shuttle, it'll bring you right to the Wellington "T" stop.

You'll be able to get to Faneuil Hall Marketplace, just get off at either Haymarket or State Street for it. I prefer the State Street stop, then you just come up out of the subway and cross the street, you'll pass the 60 State Street tower and turn the corner and there it is, stroll thru and enjoy the shops, stands and restaurants as well as the daily live shows out in front of the complex that is put on for every one, it's great. From there you can walk down to the waterfront, check out Christopher Columbus park & enjoy the harbor & walk along waterfront. You could walk over to explore the North End, may be there's a feast going on, here's the site & info on it:

www.northendboston.com

Go to the Pizzeria Regina for a pizza on Thatcher Street there! You should definitely arrange the Duck Tours:

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

You could hop on the train again and go to the Back Bay, stroll Newbury Street, check out the Pru shops & Copley Place. Walk down thru the Public Garden, head to Charles Street & walk up thru Beacon Hill. Walk down to the Liberty Hotel and check out their lobby, it's pretty neat. You could walk across to stroll along the Charles River. There's a lot to see and do. Planning that Duck Tour is one of the first things that you should do, it'll give you a good feel for the lay out of the City, plus it's a beautiful time of year to be on a duck boat, don't you think!

You'll be getting many more suggestions and ideas here, so watch for them.

Have a wonderful time!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Trip-Boston Leg

There's a really nice mall on route 16 in Everett (I think it is, strictly speaking, although it feels more like Medford or Revere) that has a Costco, Target, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, Old Navy, and I forget what else. That particular Costco is good because they sell tubs of domestic mozzarella (as well as the much more expensive imported stuff). Domestic Prosciutto costs $8.99, a full dollar cheaper than the same product at BJ's.

That particular Costco does not have a liquor store, however Kappy's is near by (possibly Kappy's main store, I don't really know) that is a great place because they will take any beer bottle or can you bring them for redemption, even Costco-brand beer. It's also a good place to buy unusual imported beer by the case and things like the fabulous "Boston Edition" of Absolut Vodka (expensive, but delicious).

From Medford it would not be difficult to tour Lexington and Concord by car.

I just realized you said you were hoping to use public transportation - I hope you have a car if you are staying at the Hyatt in Medford. Why do you want to use public transportation?

Norfolk,MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Trip-Boston Leg

If you want to see Boston and you like history you can try the Freedom Trail. It's a 2.5 mile trail that goes through Boston, marked by a red-bricks on the sidewalk, it goes to almost every historical site in Boston. You can walk it yourself (That's what I would do because it allows you to stop at places you want to see and skip places you don't want to see), but you can also do a guided tour, here's a link, it has all the stops listed, with information about each:

www.thefreedomtrail.org/visitor/visitor.html

It starts at the Boston Common (although you can start anywhere) and ends at the USS Constitution, I recommend you stop once you get to the North End (by Paul Revere's House) because if you actually tour each place it should be about time for dinner, and the North End is full of excellent Italian restaurants, which always makes for a good dinner. Also, Faneuil Hall is a great place to grab Lunch or Dinner too, there's usually lots going on there. You can easily walk the trail in a day, usually a long day, but it's a lot of walking. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Edited: 02 July 2010, 17:43
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Trip-Boston Leg

How long is the trip? Maybe bike Concord and Walden Pond. Bring swim suits if you do go to Walden.

South Bend, IN
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Trip-Boston Leg

Thank you everyone for all the good ideas. We do have a car, by the way, we've just found when travelling in large cities it's easier to use public transportation than to find a parking space!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New England Trip-Boston Leg

It's not hard to find parking in Boston you just have to pay for it. It will be cheaper for a group of four to drive and park than to take public transportation.

7. Re: New England Trip-Boston Leg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2011, 05:18