We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and what to do?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay and what to do?

A girlfriend and I are coming to Boston mid-August. We want to check out the Freedom Trail, the Green Monster, Harvard, and whatever else we should do...suggestions?

We also will be hitting the bar scene at night...so based on that, what is a good place to stay? Either hotel specifically, or area of the city.

Thank you all!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Nikki

Both above and below the posts there is a box to the right of the boston forum for searches.

If you type in "stay and do", you will get 291 pages worth of suggestions and if you type in "best bars" there are 108 pages of suggestions from the great destination experts here.

Since we don't know how old you are, your interests besides the stated items, how long you will be here, etc, I would suggest that you take a look at some of the prior posts and then ask some more specific questions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Hi, Nikki

Like my good friend, neslaw mentions, you really haven't given us much to go on. You didn't even include what you can afford to spend on a hotel room nightly. We've been having some good success here placing tourists into hotels using the discount travel sites like Hotwire. I'm sure there's something there for you two as well. Give me your dates and I'll see what's there. Think of all that money you could save on your hotel room and put towards the bar scene! =) You down or do you want to book directly thru the hotel?

Either way, you're going to have fun here regardless of whether or not you came to this site, but we can definitely make it an even better experience for you as long as you help us to help you.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

We really need to know two things: how old are you? and, are you hot?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Well I was certainly hot today. Does that help? :)

Will, you gotta start doing this for pay with all the work you put into finding the hotels and figuring out which is is which on hotwire.

One thing I didn't catch before. I think it is fair to say that there is not just 1 bar scene in Boston. There are probably a hundred different venues with live music of every variety and don't know how many others with a dj. With most of these bar scenes I have little experience and feel badly that my TA education is lacking in this specific area.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Sorry Everyone :)

I guess I didn't search what to do /where to stay because I am sooo lost about the city! But I will look at some previous posts!

We are both 28 and of course hot ;) Our price range is about $200 a night, but i dont even know if that is reasonable. We will be there the 3rd weekend in August.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Nik,

3rd weekend in August - okay, is it Friday and Saturday nights you need a room or Saturday and Sunday nights you need a room or Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights you need a room? ;)

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Hi Nikki, 28 -- what a great age! You'll have a blast, I know. Like others who posted above, I am a little too old to know for sure where people your age really congregate but I can mention a few things that are true and might help. When you get to town, pick up a (free) Boston Phoenix newspaper, which has massive listings of music, music clubs, and bars. There are certain parts of town where a lot of young people seem to go: Faneuil Hall area plus Broad Street, Kenmore Square I believe, Lansdowne Street which is very close to Kendall, Harvard Square, Central Square in Cambridge also, and certain parts of Brighton. Some hotels that have been kind of buzzy lately include: The Ames and the Liberty. They each have bars. Liberty is kind of fun, I was there for events recently and liked it. The South End is chock full of cool restaurants and bars -- one that I hear is kind of happening is the Beehive. Central Square is great for live music, by the way. The great bar there is the Middle East.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Thanks Maxie!

We will be there Friday and Saturday night...checking out the areas that you mentioned...as well as the hotels!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

As Maxie said look at the Phoenix.

www.bostonphoenix.com

Also the Boston Globe the day before you are leaving

http://www.boston.com/thingstodo/

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Yikes, Hotwire is not being our friend for the 3rd weekend in August. Prices are HIGH and choices aren't there. Something must be going on in the city that weekend...

Best deal I saw was thru hotels.com for the 3 1/2 star Hilton Back Bay being offered for $203/nt. That was for a room with 2 double beds. I'm positive you would like the hotel and location, so book with confidence if you want this hotel.

Everything else being offered was either way out of the city center, too costly, or was a Boutique hotel that would only have 1 bed in the room.