We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

Canton, MI
11 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

Hi - I am bringing my wife and two friends to Boston the last weekend in July. I am looking at these two areas and am having a hard time making up my mind.

We plan to do most of the obvious tourist stuff in the Quincy Market area, and the North End, but want to check out the Fenway Park tour and the Back Bay areas as well.

I know this is very vague, maybe they are equal, but if someone has an opinion either way I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

Mike

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

Make it easy on yourself and just stay in the Quincy Market area. You'll be close to the Marketplace, the wharf area and within easy walking distance up into the North End. Getting to Back Bay and Fenway from here is easily done. Walking to the Back Bay is a very enjoyable, 30-35 minute walk, but Fenway is a little too far for most to walk. It would be around an hour from Quincy Market. Either way, you can easily hop on the T and take it to Copley for the Back Bay or Kenmore for Fenway Park.

Boston Common/Theater District would be fine too. You would be in the middle of the city in between Back Bay/ Fenway and Quincy Market/North End. That said, you'll probably like being based around the Market area more.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

this time of year, stay as close to the waterfront as possible.

Canton, MI
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

Thanks for your advise folks. I just pulled the trigger on a hotwire deal and got the holiday inn beacon hill on blossom street. It seems a little farther than I hoped. Hotwire said the hotel was in the Quincy Market/Financial Market area but it seems a little west of that area and not very close to a T station.

Is anyone familiar with this hotel and its location? Please advise.

Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

The location is fine. It's about a 10 or 12 minute walk to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. The closest T station is Bowdoin, but that closes early and on Weekends. Government Center is less than a 10 minute walk. So is the Mass. General stop on the Red Line.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

It's along one side of Beacon Hill. I think it's stretching it to be called Financial District or Quincy Market, but in fact it can't be more than 4 blocks from Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. It is also close to the beautiful Charles Street, which is a must in my opinion -- for window shopping and then stopping to eat or drink. I am very partial to the wine bar there, Bin 26 Enoteca. Also fairly close to that hotel is one of the "hot" hotels, the Liberty. Stop in there for a drink. it's a former jail and they make the most of that theme. It has a cool courtyard, too. Oh, and your hotel is very close to the Charles Street stop on the T (like 2 blocks at the most). Not so bad. Have a great trip!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

It's a perfectly fine location and you will enjoy it. It's an easy walk to Quincy Market and it's only 5 minutes' walk from the Charles Red Line T station, or a little longer walk to the Government Center Green Line station.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

Charles Street T stop = Mass General T stop. I think it is officially called Charles. The Bowdoin Street T stop is very minor, so I wouldn't even try to use it.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

You really don't need to worry so much about exactly where you are staying. Boston is very compact and it is easy to get around by foot and subway. Ocassionally, if you are tired you may want to hail a cab. The Holiday Inn Beacon Hill location is fine.

9. Re: Hotel Location - Boston Common/Theatre vs. Quincy Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 07:17