We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which weekend in October to visit?

Nashville
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which weekend in October to visit?

Thanks to all of you for your recent help with planning our trip to Boston in October. We have decided to stay in Boston our entire 4 days/3nights (and not visit Portland) so we're not losing so much time traveling between destinations.

We need help deciding which weekend would be better to visit - October 7-10 or October 21-24. I had read an earlier post that Columbus Day weekend has it's added traffic, is it that much more of a bother? I was hoping to enjoy some of the peak Fall colors during our visit, would there be any color the second week of October or is the 21st a better bet? Conversely, is the latter weekend that much colder and more likely to get snow? (Sorry I know you aren't meteorologists, but trying to get an idea based on your experiences).

To reiterate our plans, we are going to stay at the Hilton Financial District hotel and planned to take in some of the sights along the Freedom Trail one day, head to Salem via ferry one half day into evening, and based on some of your suggestions, head over to Cambridge to check that area out, eat along the Harbor, North End and Beacon Hill on some nights, and just generally play things by ear.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which weekend in October to visit?

If you are going to stay southerly down near Boston, the latter weekend is likely better for color. If you are going North to NH/Vermont, the earlier weekend may be better. Of course if you are just staying in Boston, there are plenty of trees around that will change color, but you aren't going to have any stunning vistas of colorful woodlands. So, it might not matter too much about trying to plan around foliage.

It will be getting a little cooler toward the end of October, but nothing to plan around. The weather here is unpredictable and we could get some unseasonable warm or cold days any time in Oct. You never know. There is really about no chance of any snow in October in Boston. In fact Boston usually doesn't get a signifcant snow fall until December and maybe not even until January.

October is a prime tourist month and Columbus Day weekend will be a peak. So, hotel rates might be higher.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which weekend in October to visit?

The closer you get to Oct 31, the zooier Salem becomes. I don't know if that matters to you or not, but thought I'd throw it out. ;)

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which weekend in October to visit?

Very good advice above. I guess if all else is equal, I would pick the earlier weekend, just because you have a slightly better chance the weather will be nice. You're staying in Boston the whole time, so what do you mean about traffic? It will be somewhat busy in Boston, but nothing like July Fourth. Just normal busy. You could easily make a daytrip while you are here, perhaps to Concord and Lexington, and see foliage that way. It's very beautiful out that way.

4. Re: Which weekend in October to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 07:22