We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water taxi vs. T from Logan

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
water taxi vs. T from Logan

We're staying at the Back Bay (Jury's). It's hard to tell from the subway map online how direct it will be in getting us there. Would the water taxi be a huge inconvenience?

We'll have a stroller and luggage, but we're used to a haul. We just want to know the best, most efficient way. A cab is out due to lack of car seat. Also, does the charlie card work seamlessly from the T to buses?

Thanks for answering all my dumb questions!

Edited: 11 July 2010, 03:37
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

I'm afraid the Water Taxi is of no help to reach the Back Bay Hotel, which is nowhere near the Waterfront. I'm not sure what you mean about a Charlie Card "working seemlessly", but it does work. The T, by the way, runs the busses as well as the subway. commuter rail, and commuter boats.

Edited: 11 July 2010, 03:44
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

Yep, the water taxi isn't an option if you're staying in the Back Bay.

Free Massport shuttle to the Airport T station - Blue Line inbound to Gov't Center - Any Green Line train westbound to Arlington T station - walk 10 minutes to your hotel. FYI -You'll need to take your luggage and little one up the stairs at Gov't Center to catch that Green Line train.

Nashville
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

Yeah, we knew we weren't near the water, but wondered if one of the waterfront T stations would be a more direct train trip.

Thanks for your help. From our experiences in some other major cities, we're used to no elevators at train stations. We'll manage!

Thanks for all your help!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
985 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

Just a couple of notes about the T. There are escalators at all of the stations you will use, including between the two levels of Government Center. The Green Line uses a combination of low level (walk on) and high level (up three steps) equipment. Every train has at least one low level car, which of course is the one you should use if you have a stroller, so be sure to look for it.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

If there's an escalator between the Blue and Green Lines in Government Center, I've never found it. Every time I use it, i find people struggling with the stairs.

Somerville
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

There is an escalator at the Government Center stop, from the Blue Line platform up to the Green Line. I've seen it, ridden it, and I think I even have a photo of it - but not on my office computer. If I can find it, I'll post a link in a couple of days.

Edited: 13 July 2010, 14:13
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

That would be amazing. There certainly is one from the Green Line to outside, but I've never seen any other one.

Somerville
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

I -think- I'm right but I know my employer would not appreciate it if I took the afternoon off for a trip to Government Center. Right after work, I'm taking a one day vacation and won't be home until tomorrow evening. I did find this comment on a railroad.net forum thread, as I was beginning to doubt my memory.

Re: New screen at Orient Heights

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:29 pm

There is one of these screens at Government Center. It is located near the escalator on the Blue Line platform. I had seen it there for a few weeks now and it was not until I saw it today did it dawn on me that it was the same one at OH.

Somerville
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

I looked over the situation at Government Center last night. There are two escalators, one up and one down, connecting the street level to the Green Line level. There is one up escalator from the Blue Line level -up- to the Green Line level. I wish there was a down escalator from the Green Line level to the Blue, since many people come to Government Center to transfer to the Blue Line and then to the airport, but there is not.

The first two photos are from the Blue Line platform, showing the up escalator. It's in the middle of the platform. The other two photos show where it ends on the Green Line platform. As you leave the escalator, the inbound Green Line trains are on your right.

http://thumbsnap.com/xYtS9zpR

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: water taxi vs. T from Logan

I went to check it myself and it is true. The escalator from the Blue Line to the Green is located behind the snack bar, so is not visible from the stairway portions of the platform. And, yes, there is only one going up! That's better than none at all. Learn something new every day.