We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston North End

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Boston North End

After reading many posts on this forum (which is great by the way!) I continually see rave reviews for Boston's North End, as almost a must while in Boston.

What specific area is this? Ie. is there a certain address/location to start? Any particular restaurants (maybe authentic italian?) recommended?

My wife is not the biggest fan of "wondering aimlessly" and rather that there is a plan, etc!

What kind of timing should be dedicated to the North End?

Thanks!!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston North End

This is, as you said, a specific area of the city. So no, there's no one specific address. Since you've read many posts on this area, you must realize there are hundreds of restaurants in that area. There are also some other interesting areas of the city. Hope that doesn't put you into overload. Perhaps a guided walking tour that includes several of these "areas" would be beneficial to you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston North End

If you use Google maps, zoom in on Boston where you see Old North Church and Paul Revere's house labled. Once you zoom in close enough you will see that it is labeled the "North End"

The 2 "main" streets are Hanover St and Salem St but there are a few side streets as well.

There are about 100 restaurants there, just do a search here and you'll find plenty of suggestions. Check the restaurant sections on TA and also sites like Yelp.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston North End

The North End IS a must when visiting Boston. It's also a great neighborhood to just "wander around aimlessly" since it's so different from most other places you'll visit. It's pretty small in area, has narrow, winding roads with older architecture, cute little restaurants, cafes, courtyards, and a mostly italian population that takes great pride in their neighborhood. There's italian being spoken all around you which can make you feel you're in Italy at times. Just a very European feel to the North End. The main street is Hanover, and the Freedom Trail goes right through the North End.

P.S. Nearly every restaurant in the North End is authentic, but varies based on which style of italian cuisine they offer, e.g. Northern, Southern, etc.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston North End

I agree that wandering around the North End is part of its charm--besides the historical sites and seeing the architecture there are specialty food stores, a growing number of boutiques, weekend "feasts" devoted to various saints (street festivals) and as noted, a large concentration of restaurants.

You'll find more Italian-American than "authentic" Italian, really. There are regional Italian places, but they are in the minority.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston North End

I think the North End is absolutely a must, as Will said. I haven't actually done a scientific survey, and I don't really know what Italian-American cuisine is exactly but I would expect most restaurants in the North End to be pretty heavily Abruzzese.

You can get a pretty good idea of what it's like to wander around the North End with google street view. Come to think of it, that's true of much of Boston - you can experience a lot of the charm of the city just by using the Internet - on the other hand, there's really no substitute for a Swan Boat ride, if you can afford it.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston North End

as far as a specific address.....I would answer yes to this and it would be Hanover Street.

When talking about The North End, most things stem off Hanover Street and no one visits this area without walking on this street.

The other streets of interest are Salem, Prince and Richmond.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston North End

Thomas

I am taking up a collection so you can get off of the swan boats. I am not siding with those who only want to gather enough funds to get you on them.

And while dinner is a must in the NE, save room for dessert from the great Italian bakeries as you wander around.

8. Re: Boston North End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 08:30