We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

Hi,

I am new to Boston and am travelling from Canada. I have everything planned out but need to get a couple of problems cleared out.

1. How is the toll from Buffalo from Boston, when taking the I-90. I will be driving a van. I did some research and some vague sources say $20-$25. Is this right? slightly more? or slightly less? I am really tight for cash.

2. I heard it is a nightmare to drive in Boston. Where is a good place to park so I can take the subway and which station should i get off at so see Harvard University, Museum of Natural Science, Sam Adams Brewery and others. The motel I am staying is in Lexingston MA, I doubt there is a station that far out.

3. How much is the parking at one of the Boston T parking lots. Where is the best place to park again.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

You can drive down Route 2 to Alewife station. It is not far at all from Lexington. Park there (about $7) and take the Red Line. Ask an attendant for a Charlie Card and load value on it from a machine. It will only cost you $1.70 per subway ride. If you buy a paper Charlie Ticket it costs $2. If you are going to be here for a while the $15 weekly pass is a great value. You get unlimited rides on subway and buses and Zone 1 of commuter rail.

Get off at Harvard Square for Harvard and the museum.

If you are going into town on a weekend it might cost about the same to park as to park at Alewife and take the subway. On the weekend you can probably find somewhere to park in the $12 range. I think the Boston Common garage is about that on the weekend. During the week parking is around $25-$35 a day.

I'm not sure how to get to Sam Adams by T. I know you can. Someone else can help you with that.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

The MBTA Web site is your friend: www.mbta.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
150 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

I like the idea of driving to Alewife and park there. However one potential problem is what time the Alewife garage fills up on a weekday? I've heard that one has to get there fairly early to get in. Does anyone know?

Does your motel offer shuttle service to commuter station? If yes, perhaps they are willing to take you to the Concord commuter rail station? Concord is served by the Fitchburg line.

Regardin Sam Adams, if you go to their website, there is detailed instructions on how to get there by car and by public transport.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

Well ... on http://www.mbta.com; the Alewife station USED to be marked w/ < 1% availability on weekdays, but recently I noticed it says 10% weekday availability. So you should be ok.

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/…

That said, I don't commute from that area, so hopefully others with personal experience will comment.

When will you be here? If it's early September, then parking might be a concern cuz the first week of September is when business picks up and colleges start up and LOTS of people are commuting to the city and some who usually drive use the T to avoid the increased commuter traffic that week.

Edited: 25 July 2010, 12:15
Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

I think you have to get there very early or later in the morning to park. I think it can be filled up during the height of rush hour (maybe 8/9AM) but then spaces start to open up. It would be a pain, but if worse came to worse you could just follow Route 16 East to Wellington Station and park there. Word is that there are always some spaces there.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

Yes, there are always spaces at Wellington. There are T-run floors in the garage at Station Landing, there is a large outdoor T-run lot and there is a large outdoor private lot (that is reasonably priced) and the private lot NEVER runs out of spaces .... (and is not expensive).

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

Re: Alewife parking. I've been by there practically every day this month and the lot has always been open. There also is an overflow lot established across the street. However, this may change when September rolls around and more folks are back in the city.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

We drive the Buffalo-to-Boston route frequently, and the toll estimate you were given is correct. You can calculate the amount you'll pay between specific toll points by using this link for the New York State Thruway:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/tolls/calc/trip.cgi

And this link will help you do the same for the Mass Pike portion of your trip:

http://www.massdot.net/user-cgi/tollcalc.cgi

9. Re: Where to park in Boston, so I can take the subway , and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 06:16