We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T Question's

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
T Question's

Hi guys

I'm trying to figure out your subway :-) I'm sure it's not that difficult!

I am staying at the Sheraton and need to get to North Station for the train to Salem. Now from looking at the map I could walk to the Prudential (Inbound) Station and get the Green line E train direction Lechmere or would I be better walking to Hynes station for more of a choice of trains B, C or D?

I've only half got my head around the difference between an Inbound/Outbound train, where is the Prudential station - Outbound? I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Clare

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T Question's

At the Sheraton, you are just as close if not closer to the Hynes station than to the Prudential station. The Hynes station has much more frequent service, so you should go there. Inbound simply means toward the transfer stations in the center of town. Outbound is away from the center of town. So you take an inbound train from Hynes to the center of town and then on to North Station. An outbound train from Hynes would head out to the western suburbs. On the Green Line, the central transfer stations are Park St. and Government Center. So you will go inbound from Hynes (on any inbound train) and then continue in the same direction, which becomes outbound after Government Center. Not every inbound train from Hynes will go past Government Center, so you might need to get off at Government Center and transfer to a Northbound train toward North Station or Lechmere. (Lechmere trains go through and beyond North Station.) Here is the possibly confusing part. When returning from North Station, you will need to take an inbound train to go through the center and then back out to Hynes (where it will be headed outbound). In this case, you can take any inbound train from North Station. If you get an E train, you can take it to the Prudential stop. If you get any other train, take it to Hynes.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T Question's

Inbound means towards North Station - a lot of green line cars stop there. Outbound means the other direction. There are not usually separate entrances for inbound and outbound. If you get on the wrong train you'll know it because your first stop will be in the wrong direction. If that happens, get off the train and get on a train going the opposite direction. Or if you are really worried about this, just ask anyone if the train you are boarding is going in the direction of North Station. I've done this all over the world, in various different languages, and I've yet to find a human who would not answer the question correctly and honestly.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T Question's

Thanks both

I'm just looking at the C line on this:

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/… Circle (C)

It seems to miss out the Hynes stop on the map??? yet hopstop says that it stops there???

Clare

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: T Question's

"C" lettered green line trains go through Hynes. You can go from either station. From Prudential take the E train labeled Lechmere to North Station. Takes about 10-15 minutes. If going from Hynes, take a C lettered Gov't Center train to North Station. Takes about 11-16 minutes, lol. Your choice!!!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T Question's

clare, you're overthinking this. stop worrying about a, b, c, d, e - just go to prudential or hynes (ask which is closer at the hotel) and take in inbound train.

on the way home, don't take an e train, or get off at copley. it's all easy-peasy.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: T Question's

But why can't she take an E train from North Station to Prudential on the way home if she wanted to?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T Question's

Ok thanks for all the replies. I'm not overthinking it just trying to understand now so I don't have to think about it too hard when I'm there.

No problem on the way back as we are coming back from Salem by ferry so will be coming back from a different station. Might even give the Orange line a try, just to mess with my head lol.

Clare

Edited: 25 July 2010, 00:44
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T Question's

yes yes take the e train to prudential. whatever.

Boston...
Level Contributor
150 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T Question's

My understanding is, on the INbound Green Line trains,

ONLY the E train goes to N Station/Lechmere.

All the other lines- B,C,D terminate at Government Center.

For the OP, since she needs to go to N Station, there's no downside for her to go to Prudential stop and take the E train, as it'll take her directly to N Station.

If she walks over to Hynes, all those trains will terminate at Gov't Center, and she'll have to disembark and wait for the E train to take her to N Station.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: T Question's

Many of the trains on the "non-E" branches go to Lechmere. These all stop at North Station as well.

Edited: 25 July 2010, 03:51