We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip ideas outside of Boston

Passaic, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip ideas outside of Boston

My family will be based in Boston for a few days. We have done a lot of the popular attractions during previous visits. We are now looking for interesting and fun day trips. We are willing to travel up to an hour or an hour and a half outside of Boston. Any ideas me, for my husband and our five kids ages 8-16?

Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip ideas outside of Boston

Sure, I have a few...

The most adventuresome journey would be to take the 90 minute high speed ferry from Boston to Provincetown, on the very tip of Cape Cod. Lots to do there, plenty of restaurants, and there's a cheap shuttle service that takes you out to the beach. Art's Dune Tours is pretty popular and would be something different I'm sure.

It may not be Six Flags, but Canobie Lake Park in Salem, New Hampshire is a really fun park. There's plenty of rides, games, entertainment and a neat waterpark.

There's always Salem to consider. Some enjoy the town for it's maritime and witch history, as well as for it's early american homes and architecture. There's also the well worth a visit Peabody Essex Museum and House of Seven Gables. You wouldn't have to drive if you didn't want to. You can take the rail or the ferry to Salem.

Or hop in the car and head for beautiful Cape Ann, MA. Cape Ann consists of the towns of Gloucester, Rockport, Manchester and Essex and all of them have something to offer. Would make for a fun day of cruising around checking the area out. Have some lobster at Roy Moore's Lobster in Rockport oh head to Woodman's, JT Farnham's, Essex Seafood, or the Village Restaurant in Essex for some fried clams. Or go a little further into Ipswich for what many claim to be the all time king of friend clams, The Clam Box.

South of the city brings options too...

Of course you have Plymouth and Plimoth Plantation. You could easily make a full day of it in Plymouth. The Plymouth Rock is nothing really to look at, but the town wharf area is buzzing with good, eat in the rough type of places, whale watching and other various harbor cruises. There's also the Jenney Grist Mill which is well worth a visit.

How about taking the boys to Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA? Yes, you have the battleship New Jersey, but our battleship is on display and also won many battle stars in WWII. This is a really fun place to take the kids. Besides the battleship, there's a submarine, a PT boat, a destroyer and a Soviet Corvette class ship from the Cold War to check out. Plus a Cobra attack helicpter and other aircraft on disply. There's snack cafes, picnic areas and even a Carousel dating from 1920 there.

About 90 minutes south of Boston is Newport, Rhode Island. Really fun seaside town. Very walkable downtown, lots of action around the wharf areas, the free Cliff Walk and of course the mansions to tour. Ocean Drive is a nice 10 mile loop you can drive which goes past Brenton Point State Park. There's Harbor cruises here too. You could certainly make a day of it in Newport. Great restaurants down there. If you all eat lobster, go to Aquidneck Lobster Company right at the end of Bowens Wharf, go inside, pick out some lobsters and they'll steam them up for you. Then chow down right there in the rough overlooking the water. The lobsters don't get any fresher nor cheaper then this place. It's not a restaurant, but more a fish warehouse/market.

That's all I have for you.

Have fun wherever you and the fam end up.

Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip ideas outside of Boston

Plimouth Plantation and Lexington/Concord are two obvious suggestions that are best done with a car.

A lot of people enjoy taking the train or ferry to Salem.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip ideas outside of Boston

Slightly outside of your time parameters per mapquest is Kennebunkport, ME at 1 hr 47 minutes. Fun town, great coastline, swimming. When I look for a fun day, don't want to spend the entire day in the car but an early morning trip up and maybe stop for dinner in Portsmouth, NH and drive back would be a great family day.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip ideas outside of Boston

An easy daytrip that is great for kids, is to go to George's Island, one of the Boston Harbor Islands. Here is one of the websites with more info: www.bostonislands.com/

The island is mostly occupied by a very large very old stone fort, that you are free to explore (spooky dark chambers, old spiral staircases, great views from the ramparts). There is a concession stand on the island. It's easy to get there, the public ferry runs often and the boat ride itself is fun.

Passaic, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip ideas outside of Boston

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my post. We just got back from a great trip. The only bad part was that we did not have enough time to do everything. However we managed to squeeze a stop in Providence for a beautiful bike ride along the East Bay Trail, a whole day at Plimouth Plantation and the Mayflower, and then a trip to Concord's Minute Man National Park.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,530 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip ideas outside of Boston

Thanks for checking in Jess. I'd love to know what else you did? Would you consider posting a trip report for us? It's always good for the regular posters to know what's a hit with visitors and it can also help future visitors.

Thanks again,

7. Re: Day trip ideas outside of Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 05:33