We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

We will be driving from Philadelphia to Arcadia National the first week of October. I've been trying to find a hotel deal in the city of Boston for the past several weeks using Priceline and Hotwire. I've found nothing for less that $160 which doesn't include the $40 nightly parking fee. Ideally we'd like to drive to a suburb and stay at a hotel and leave our car at the hotel and take the train into and out of the city. Can someone suggest a suburb that would fit the bill with easy access into the city and one where we could stay on the same train all the way. We plan on doing the typical tourist stuff like Freedom Trail, the North End, and perhaps the waterfront area.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

I'm not so familiar with the Riverside stop on the Green Line (in the city of Newton) but think there is a hotel extremely close by. If you include express bus transport and not just train, you could consider the Crowne Plaza in Newton Corner (also in Newton). The #504 express bus stops right by the hotel, then it goes to Back Bay (and right near a stop on the Orange Line of the subway -- that is, Back Bay Station) and then goes Downtown before it turns around. However, this bus does not go past 7:50 at night.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

The hotel next to Riverside station is the Indigo. You would just take the Green line (Riverside branch) right into downtown. I bet it's not much cheaper than $160 though, if cheaper at all.

October is prime tourist season. Hotel rates are high. $160 is a good rate.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

There are several areas and hotels to look into.

First, you need to decide whether you would be using the subway or the commuter rail as your transportation into and back out of the city. The subway runs more often and a little later into the night then the commuter rail. Subway is also cheaper. The commuter rail is not all that bad however. There's plenty of trains that are convienent for getting you into/out of the city, but they just run much less frequently than the subway.

Listen, October is Fall Foliage time in these parts, and the hotels know it. Many hotels are already booked solid or getting close, so they don't need to put any great offers out there on the discount sites like Hotwire. They know they will get their money one way or the other.

So, all that said, you may want to quickly check some hotels at the ends of the subway line like Hotel Indigo in Newton, Marriott Boston-Quincy, Hyatt Place Boston-Medford, Holiday Inn Boston-Brookline ($18 parking), and Best Western Tria in Cambridge. Indigo and Holiday Inn are short walks to the subway station while the others are close to one and offer shuttle services.

Chances are these hotels will be pricey as well. If so, then go to Plan B and start looking at the hotels further away but right near a commuter rail station.

Look into such hotels as Residence Inn Boston-Dedham, Hilto Boston-Dedham, Courtyard Boston-Woburn, Hampton Inn Boston-Woburn, Fairfield Inn Boston-Woburn.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

We just got back and stayed in Lexington at a 3.5 star (Element) via Hotwire. I think I had to do a search for Lexington as it did not show up everytime I searched for Boston.

We just drove into the city each day as Lexington was about a half hour away but I imagine we could have stopped at the T stop in Alewife (not sure about parking there).

Lexington also would make for an easier escape to Maine then some other spots.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,648 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

Lexington is doable and if you don't want to drive into the city and pay to park ($10ish on weekends, but anywhere from $12-$35 on weekdays) you could park at Alewife station and take the T as already mentioned. Parking at subway stations generally runs $5-$7 pers day.

I was going to suggest staying North of Boston on Rte 1 in the cities of Saugus or Peabody or Danvers and then drive to the Wonderland or Wellington T station, where thanks to independent lots in addtion to the T lots, there is always parking. There are lots of mid-range hotel chains on this road, BUT ... the Topsfield Fair runs from Oct 1 to 11th this year and many people spending time there book into these hotels and the traffic on Rte 1 in Danvers gets congested. Like the foliage, The Topsfield Fair will decrease the availability of rooms, and raise prices too.

You might best consider staying south or west of Boston.

October is an extremely popular time around here.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

You could stay at the Boston Marriot in Quincy. It is a short walk to the Quincy Adams on the redline. There is also the Best Western Adams Inn in North Quincy. That is closer to Boston, a short walk to the North Quincy Station (also the redline). Both hotels may have shuttles to the train stations as well. Some may have shuttles into boston (not sure).

There is currently construction going on near the Best Western, on the roads. That would really only effect you driving in and out though (making it a bit confusing). I'd check the reviews for both on TA to see if you think they may be what your looking for.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

The Best Western Adams was having problems with car break-ins in the past. Not sure if it's still a problem or not, but wanted to throw that out there.

8. Re: Looking for Boston suberb for lodging with easy in-out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 05:17