We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
150 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

Thanks to the people here we had a great time in Boston. Hotwire got us the Crowne Plaza/Newton for $65. Since it was a weekend we ended up taking the car downtown and parked under the commons for $11 all day. We walked the historic walk and black history walk. We loved the former and were dissapointed in the lack of plaques and info on the latter. Some important events happened there that we would have loved to know more about. It was worth walking across the bridge to see the monument and climb up.

The Fanueil market area was great. Bagels in the first stall inside were good. It was hot and we forgot water. We found that we passed by 7-11 enough to avoid the high fluid prices in the market area. Live Entertainment was good in the market area. On the walk shortly after the market you will pass by the oldest restaurent in America. Prices looked good but weren't hungry at the time.

Tourist info tip. We drove in from Maine and stopped at the first tourist bureau. The advice we were given was don't go to Boston. You won't like it. So we then visited what we thought was the tourist office on the commons. A private Grayline ripoff with no advice given other than take a tour. On the historic walk we passed by a great Boston Tourist place. Friendly. Lots of info and free maps/guides. It was just before the market on the historic walk.

We drove across to Harvard and walked around a bit. We were too tired to do much more. In the evening we just went to a mall in Newton. The hotel was right on I90 so the next morning we easily headed west.

Thanks again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

Hi, there!

Okay, I'm very curious about your stay at the Crowne Plaza out in Newton. There's been alot of bad reviews on that place recently.

Is the hotel still undergoing renovations and how would you rate the hotel overall?

Parking: Are they still charging something like $20/night to park there?

Edited: 12 August 2010, 03:22
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
150 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

I was very pleasantly surprised. I had heard bad things as well. We normally stay in a super 8/comfort inn type.That would be my base for comparisons. The room was clean and fancy. 6 pillows per queen bed..Nice beds.We were on an upper floor and heard no traffic noise at all .In room ethernet or computers in the lobby.Towels/toiletries good. The TV was nothing special. The special features didn't seem to work(extra pay channels).I saw no signs of renovation. I think the hall carpets needed replacing.

Last year i received gold frequent status free. Could that be why the $17 parking charge was waived? Free breakfast as well? The pool/exercise area was small. There were always 3 people or more at the front desk. They were very helpful with information and concerns.

The area around the hotel and the people sitting outside the door gave me some concern initially but i think they were taxi drivers.

Hope that helps.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,078 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

Thanks for the trip report. It sounds like you did quite a bit in a short amount of time.

The visitor's center person should be reprimanded for saying "you won't like Boston" ARGH!!! I didn't know the visitors' center on the Common is being run by a tour company! It wasn't always like that ... I'll need to check it out next time I'm in the area. The vistiors' center that you did find helpful was probably the National Park Service on Devonshire street near the State Street T station.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

Thank you for taking the time to write up your trip report here. They're so helpful for a lot of travelers. I'm also so glad that you got to use Hotwire, I think that's such a great site for booking hotels, you can't beat it. You certainly lucked out paying $65 a night, that's wonderful! You covered a lot in a short amount of time, that's for sure. It sounds as if you walked over the footbridge connecting the North End to Charlestown too and you were able to check out the Bunker Hill Monument, that's great!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

Thanks so much for posting. You are right about the Black Heritage Trail not being well-marked (neither is the Women's Heritage Trail) Anyway, here's some links in case others might be interested in doing those. I think it is a great way to experience more of the city's history.

http://www.afroammuseum.org/trail.htm

http://bwht.org/

Edited: 12 August 2010, 14:00
U.S.
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

Thank you for posting these links. I was looking for more information on these topics for myself (woman) and my bf (African American) :) Thanks again!

7. Re: Trip Report 36 hours in Boston with Teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 07:16