We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fenway to Park Plaza

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Topic
Fenway to Park Plaza

Staying at the Park Plaza. Trying to get an idea of whether it's best to walk it or take the T. Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) will be seeing Monday night's game.

We are used to the crowds leaving a game (we attend Nationals games, no wisecracks please), so that is not a concern. Just wonder what's the best route.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fenway to Park Plaza

It depends on your tastes, really. Personally, I would certainly walk it, but I am someone who walks a lot and enjoys it. Once you get clear of the crowds around the ball park (many of whom will be heading for the Green Line station), it would be about a 20-25-minute walk through interesting neighborhoods to the Park Plaza. If you take the Green Line (from Kenmore to Arlington station), you will find the station mobbed and crowded, may have to wait for a few trains to come through before squeezing yourself into one, and will probably arrive at your destination 25-30 minutes later. However, waiting for the Green Line train with the crowds involves less physical effort. I would say, if you can handle a 25-minute walk, walking is the nicer option.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fenway to Park Plaza

It's really up to you. Personally, assuming decent weather and a reasonable energy level, I would walk--it's probably about 30 minutes. There's no one best route. The absolute shortest might be Boylston Street all the way to Yawkey Way, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you could turn it into a nicer "tour" of Back Bay" by starting out on Boylston, turning right after a couple of blocks and then left on Beacon, right again after a couple of blocks and left on Commonwealth, and so on all the way to Beacon, which you can follow to Kenmore Square (then left on Brookline Ave. to the ballpark). The nice thing about this approach is that you experience a mix of commercial and residential areas, including the lovely park that runs the length of Commonwealth. But you might not be up for "touring" at all. In any case, it's a safe and pleasant walk.

If you want to take the T, get on any outbound train at Boylston Station (Green Line) and take it to Kenmore. That's about a 10-minute ride. It's likely to be pretty crowded. If you return on the T, it will definitely be packed, but here's a tip: Leave the ballpark and go left on Yawkey Way. Proceed as straight as you can, right through the big park called The Fens, toward the Museum of Fine Arts on the other side. On Huntington Avenue, on the other side of the museum from where you start out, you can pick up an inbound Green Line train, and you won't have any issues with crowds. It's probably a 15-minute walk from the ballpark to the Museum T stop.

I didn't mean to parrot the remarks of markofboston, who replied while I was interrupted. But we seem to be pretty much in agreement.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 16:53
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fenway to Park Plaza

I have to disagree with wpsaukee on this one.

Arlington station is closer to the Park Plaza and doesn't require backtracking from Boylston to Kenmore.

Your directions for a nicer tour on the way to the park are off. You can walk down Boylston for a couple blocks, take a right on a street like Clarendon, then a left onto Commonwealth then a right onto a street like Gloucester and finally a left onto Beacon and straight into Kenmore Square.

Me personally, I would walk up Arlington and take a left on Commonwealth Ave and take that all the way into Kenmore. Or, just walk down Boylston with the rest of the Fenway Faithful heading to the game.

After the game I would walk back on Boylston Street with the many other fans. Or, I would walk over to Kenmore station and fight my way onto the subway with everyone else. I wouldn't recommend anyone cut through The Fens after dark. Why take unnecessary chances?

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fenway to Park Plaza

I usually cut through the Fens when leaving Fenway...I wouldn't walk through there at 3am, but 10-10:30pm? It's not exactly the dead of night, and you kind of have to be looking for trouble over there.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fenway to Park Plaza

Will, you're correct about Arlington vs. Boylston.

You're also correct that I was off on my tour suggestion--I meant to say Newbury, not Beacon, after Boylston.

As to the Fens, immediately following a ball game there are plenty of people around, and I really don't think a group of two adults and two teenagers is at any risk at all. I wouldn't suggest it for one or two women walking after dark at other times.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fenway to Park Plaza

Thanks for the suggestions. Since we don't mind walking, we will probably go the Arlington or Boylston routes. Looking forward to the game and seeing Boston.

7. Re: Fenway to Park Plaza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 07:25