We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

We are thinking of flying into Boston, spending a few days touring the city and then heading for the Cape. Are there shuttles from Boston to destinations on the Cape? We haven't decided where to stay yet, but thought it might be better for us to wait until we reach our Cape Cod destination to rent a car.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

There are buses to the Cape. Whether it is worth your while to go there depends on the time of year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by "shuttles" as the Cape is anywhere from an hour to two and a half hours travel time from Boston. There are bus companies that do daily trips between the two. Prices run around $50 roundtrip depending on where on the Cape you're going.

Plymouth & Brockton Bus Co. & Peter Pan Bus Co. are two that provide service from Boston. The Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority is the local public transit option.

I'm aware that renting a car at Logan can be pricey, but it sure is much more convienent then taking a bus down to the Cape and back. That's what you would have to do unless you wanted to get hit with a one way rental surcharge by renting on the Cape and dropping it off in Boston.

Look into carrentals.com and hotwire.com for better deals on car rentals at Logan and skip taking the buses.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

You can fly Cape Air from Logan to either Hyannis or Provincetown. If you opt for Provincetown, you might not need a car.

http://www.flycapeair.com

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

boston, ma
Level Contributor
996 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

Before mid-October you can also take a high speed ferry from Boston to Provincetown (90 min).

www.provincetownfastferry.com

www.bostonharborcruises.com

Somerville
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

So there's no confusion - the ferries from Boston to Provincetown are passenger only, no automobiles.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

Since you intend to rent a car anyway, get it in Boston. Mileage is unlimited.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

Thanks everyone. The reason I hesitate to rent a car in Boston is I've heard the traffic is very heavy, and I hate to start our a vacation all stressed out.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

If you're not doing it around rush hour times (especially Friday going to the Cape), shouldn't be any problem at all.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

I agree that driving to the Cape from Logan is usually not a problem, but depending on when you want to return the car, the traffic on the way back to Logan can be a bear if you're traveling on a weekday.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Boston to Cape Cod

Just don't try to do it between 3 and 7 PM or therabouts.