We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Topic
Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

We are travelling to NYC via Amtrak Thursday Sept 2nd returning Sunday Sept 5th.

It looks like the Silver T is the best way to get from Logan to the South Station for Amtrak - is that correct? I have about an hour between each - hopefully that is enough time.

Also, I used the Metro's scheduling service to determine the route and it says there is no service on Sunday, Sept 5th - is that true? If so, what are our other options?

Itinerary Details if it's helpful

Thursday:

Arrive Logan Airport 4:25pm

Depart South Station Amtrak 5:31pm

Sunday:

Arrive South Station Amtrak 1:08pm

Depart Logan Airport 3:00pm

Thank you!

Somerville
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

No, there is definitely service on the Silver Line on Sundays and Labor Day as well.

http://snipurl.com/silverlinesunday

Looks like there are about six or seven trips in your time frame.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

The Silver Line is indeed your best bet for public transit between Logan and South Station, and it runs 7 days a week. I'm not sure why the MBTA website said that there was no service on Sept. 5, but I really don't think that is the case, and I did not get the same error message when I checked just now.

The Silver Line is actually a bus, not a train like the other lines, but it runs for much of the way in its own tunnel, so it's pretty reliable. I'd count on about a 20-minute trip to/from South Station, depending on which airport terminal you are using (Terminal A is first to be dropped off).

That being said, I don't think you are leaving quite enough connection time. On Thursday, your flight arrives at 4:25 (assuming it's on time), but by the time you exit the plane, make your way through the terminal (assume no checked bags) and out to the curb to wait for the bus, it will start to be very a close call to get to South Station. Amtrak usually wants you there 30 minutes in advance. On the way back, if the train is on time, you could be at the airport by 2 PM certainly - but again, that's only an hour before your flight leaves and you need time to check-in and get through security.

If time is short, a taxi between the two takes only about 10-12 minutes, though it will cost you about $20.

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

Thank you both for your replies! We are flying non-stop on Southwest and carry on luggage only so hopefully we'll be OK. It does sound like a taxi is a faster option especially for our trip from Logan. I'm OK with paying more to ensure we make our train.

Are taxis easy to get and do we just tell them Amtrak South Station to ensure we get to the right place?

Thanks again!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

Yes to both your questions. I would suggest to plan on a taxi on your arrival even if you come on time. If for some reason, you were to miss your train connection, there is a bus terminal right behind the RR station. Just another option for the worst case scenario.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 15:27
Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

Perfect!

Thank you so much!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

The return train is cutting it VERY close. I don't know how many times I've taken the train and it has arrived an hour, even an hour and a half late! I would take an earlier train if at all possible.

Am I reading your trip plan correctly? You're flying to Boston from Virginia, only to immediate turn around and go to NYC, and then return just in time to take the flight back to VA? How did that happen?

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

Yes, you are reading our trip correctly. We are dropping the kids off with family - anniversary weekend! We are going to the US Open on Saturday and this was the least expensive option to get us all to NE to drop off kids and then get us to NYC and back...

Hmmm...that earlier train is $150 more (total) - is it worth the extra cost?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

My process for determining that is to see when the next flight to VA leaves and if it is likely to have seats. If it's within a couple of hours of planned and the airline indicates that it probably won't be sold out (or that it likely will be), that would influence my decision.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

I'm not really following the thread entirely but the bus(ses) between New York and Boston are very inexpensive and much more reliable than the train, in my experience.

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Labor Day Wknd - Logan to Amtrak Station

Thank you everyone for your input - I've already booked Amtrak and my husband has a bad back so I think the train will ultimately be better for us. We're in no big hurry arriving Thursday night and I just moved our Southwest flight (love them!) back to 5:30 so we won't be too rushed on Sunday.