We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

Trying to decide how best to see the city on Saturday, Sept 4. I think we're leaning towards the Bike Tour, as my husband and I are more of the active type. Do you have a recommendation on which is a better tour between the bikes and the segways?

Also, if we go the Bike Tour, should we do a group tour (at $50 pp), or a private tour (at $75 pp)? It is worth it to pay a premium to have a private tour so that you can have the tour go at your speed and see the things that are most interesting to you? For some reason, I have this fear of doing a group tour and being slowed down by slower bikers or tourists that are interested in different things.

Would love your opinions!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

If someone wanted to see your backyard, would you take them on the bike tour or the segway tour? Boston is tiny - I have no idea why anyone would need a bicycle or segway to see it. I suppose if you wanted to tour different neighborhoods then a bicycle could come in handy (although frankly the idea of riding a bicycle in Boston sounds dangerous to me).

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

I saw some poor souls on a bike tour last week looking miserable. I love to bike, but I would never, ever want to see the city on a bike. Segway? Are they still in business?

The Freedom Trail is the ultimate city walking tour anywhere.

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

Thanks for the perspectives. The bike tour is listed as the #2 recommended activity in Trip Advisor, so it sounds like not only are they popular, but well-liked. From reading the reviews, it appears to be a good alternative to seeing more of the area than what walking can give you.

Hum.....

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

Even though we're all writing here on TripAdvisor, we all agree that list of best activities is bogus.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

How can being on a Segway allow you to see more places than you could on foot?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

I don't know the details of these tours, but I would think the Segway tour covers much less ground than the bike tour and it is more about the Segway experience. While biking in Boston can be dangerous I guess you have to put your faith in the tour guide knowing how to lead groups safely around. The benefits of the private tour you mention seem obvious. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

So, Alan's comment on the bogacity of the ratings got me curious. Did you all know that Jacques (yeah, I didn't know there was a Jacques either) is more popular than the New England Aquarium, whale watching and a slew of other actual attractions? Hee hee -- Jacques seems to be a female impersonating club.

OP -- there is certainly value to having a great guide. Whether you need to be on a bike or segway is questionable... and I kinda doubt that the great ratings of this company are representative of reality. I've seen a bike tour once (and yes, I work in the city every day.)

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

I've actually been to Jacques more than I've been to the Aquarium because it's a popular spot for bachelorette parties.

Where do the bike tours take you? So many parts of the city don't have dedicated bike lanes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

Surprised to see some of you frown upon the Cityview Bike Tour from UrbanAdventours. As with any hotel, restaurant or "things to do" list, there will be phoney or suspect reviews. It's not a perfect formula. There will be skewed ratings. But the majority are from honest people who took the time to write an honest review. UrbanAdventours has been in the Top 5 of the "things to do" list since I joined over 2 years ago. How could it possibly stay there that long if it was a junk tour?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ways to see Boston - Bike Tour vs Segway Tour

I've seen MANY a Duck Tour vehicle with a bunch of very bored looking passengers. Not even my "quacking" to them as they pass by makes them smile.