We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

Philly
Level Contributor
307 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

Very cool older couple first time in Boston, we will check into Millenium Bostonian around 4 and have a 7:30 dinner reservation at Bricco.

Interested in suggestions for first timers in town for a short visit (we leave around noon Sunday).

We like drinking wine in interesting taverns and restaurants. Love outdoor dining/drinking and apparently the weather is going to be amazing this weekend. People watching is always worthwhile.

We hear that acapella singing groups perform around Harvard? Any place in particular to catch that action?

We like spending time outdoors and walking. Also interested in active water activities...for example, will we find kayak rentals?

Sorry, but we have zero interest in the Red Sox (Phillies fans).

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

There are some wonderful things to do but because you do not like the Sox I will not tell you..... Just a few items that come to mind: Duck Boat Tour, The North End, tour of Fenway Park - just as a baseball fan it is really worth it, Harvard Square, Quincy Market, Freedom Trail, Quincy Market (it is fun albeit touristy), the Science Museum is quite good, Boston Commons, Bunker Hill, the JFK Library is also a good place to go.

Not that there is enough time to do everything mentioned above but it can give you some ideas.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

Yes, you will find kayaks. More info here> http://www.paddleboston.com/main.php

There's outdoor dining and drinking at and around Faneuil Hall Marketplace (where your hotel is located). There's a ton of Irish Pubs around there so it's more about beer then good wine. Many places to eat, drink wine, and peoplewatch along Boylston and Newbury Streets in the Back Bay.

Not sure if an Acepella Group will be performing, but Harvard Square is the epicenter, and a good place to check out. Take the red line of the T to Harvard stop, and you're there.

Consider dinner at Navy Yard Bistro and Wine Bar over in Charlestown. It's indorr/outdoor dining. If you do dinner early enough you can use the F4 Inner Harbor Ferry from Long Wharf (near your hotel) to the Navy Yard in Charlestown. It's a rather short walk from the dock. Ferry only cost $1.70 each, but be sure to leave time for a return trip as it stops running around 8PM

http://www.navyyardbistro.com/

Somerville
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

Emerson College has the show All Accapella on their student run radio station, WERS 88.9 FM

http://www.wers.org/music/All-A-Cappella.cfm

I don't think I've ever seen acapella singers in Harvard Square. Most of the local colleges and universities have at least one acapella group but they're not likely to be performing until weeks after school starts.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

The accapella groups don't usually perform on street corners. There are often concerts scheduled, however. Harvard, for example, has several student accapella groups that often perform at Sanders Hall, in addition to several other venues. We also have coffee houses, where accapella groups often perform, like TCAN in Natick. Next time you plan to visit, you can do a search a few weeks ahead and plan to see what be of interest to you. Since it's already Friday now, likely a little late for this go-around.

Edited: 27 August 2010, 13:54
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

Sanders THEATER, Mr. Don't-Say-CommonS. :-)

And Phil's suggestion about the radio show is a good one for any fan of that style.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

The Harvard Krokodiloes have been know to show up at Sunday Brunch at the restaurant Upstairs on the Square. I would call and ask if they will be there.

They say every Sunday during the school year on their site.

http://www.kroks.com/schedule

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

There is a beautiful hotel on Rowes Wharf, and on the waterside of the hotel there is a lovely cafe. This would be excellent for either lunch or dinner, or perhaps a drink. It's a stellar location. The hotel is called the Boston Harbor Hotel. Newbury Street in Back Bay is great for people watching, but I don't expect to get truly good food there. I suggest just strolling along it, and you can pop into stores or stop at the TeaLuxe to get a beverage. But since the area is so touristy, I think a lot of the restaurants just don't try that hard. There are a few good restaurants in that area, but you'd be better off in the "South End" of Boston. Don't mix this up with "South Boston," which is totally different. There are a lot of restaurants in different clusters of the South End, such as on Tremont Street near Berkeley Street.

I like your interest in acapella singing, but you'll be arriving really before the colleges get going, so I'm not sure you can catch any of this live. But going to Harvard Square is a great idea. There will be street performers there. There are some great restaurants there, too, some with little outdoor areas. The Harvest restaurant there probably has the biggest outdoor area, and it's one of my favorites. Another is "Upstairs on the Square".

Another idea for your music interests is to check the websites "artsboston" (dot org, I think?) and see what will be on offer during the time you are here.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

To my unbounded chagrin, the Newbury location of Tealuxe has apparently closed. There's a smaller one in Harvard Square.

Edited: 29 August 2010, 23:59
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

tcantarelli,

You're right! Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure what, if anything, I was thinking. Perhaps Memorial Hall? Who knows....

Philly
Level Contributor
307 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We arrive tomorrow (Friday)

Thanks to all. We had the most wonderful, memorable time thanks in part to your very helpful suggestions.

We had dinner at Bricco Friday night, and discovered the cool Italian Festival going on in the North End.

We covered all of the Freedom Trail Saturday morning, and visited Harvard in the afternoon.

Saturday night we discovered a hidden treasure that we would like to share with all you locals in exchange for your tips above. My girlfriend's son lives in Natick, right around the corner from a little restaurant in a strip center called Maxwells 148. It's fine dining, with free parking! If possible eat at the bar and enjoy the attention of Thomas, a great bartender and host. Be sure to ask about the fig martini, an exclusive of the house. We had the Kobe burgers because that was what we were in the mood for, but the menu is eclectic and amazing. Do NOT skip dessert.

Sunday morning we rode the T out to the Charles River, hoping to rent a kayak. Great idea for a romantic adventure, but all the kayaks were checked out for an all day expedition. Next time for sure.

Your city is amazing. We shall return.