We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which train stations......

Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which train stations......

I am planning to take a train from New York (either Newark or NY Penn station) to Boston on 17 Sept.

I realised there are 4 train stations at Boston - Bay Back, Route 128, South Station and Maine. I was told South Station is the closest to Charles Hotel but my eta in New York only allows me to catch train to Bay Back or Route 128 stations.

Are these two stations very far from the hotel?

Advise please, thanks...........

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which train stations......

The Charles Hotel is located in Cambridge. The easiest thing to do would be to get on the red line and go to South Station. Your other option would be Back Bay which can be reached by taking the red line to Downtown Crossing and switching to the orange line to Back Bay.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which train stations......

As Mahj indicated, the most practical station for you is South Station, where you can transfer to the Red Line Subway to Cambridge. Route 128 Station is actually out of the city in the western suburbs. The other two are named Back Bay and North Station, which handles trains to and from the north.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which train stations......

Are you sure you can't get a train to South Station? It seems odd to me that a train would go to Back Bay and then not go on to South Station which is the end of the line.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which train stations......

All trains from the south and west terminate at South Station.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which train stations......

I never heard of any amtrak train travelling to Back Bay and NOT stopping at South Station. No train from NY goes to North Station (which I believe is the one you called "Maine" ... it is where you get trains to Maine.)

Have you checked the Amtrak website?

What is your travel date and time of departure?

WORST case ... if you have to get off at Back Bay, you take the subway (green line to red line) or a taxi to the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square. The Back Bay Station and South Station are about 3 minutes apart (by train).

6. Re: Which train stations......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 15:38