We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with area selection

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
Help with area selection

Hi I'm bringing my son in for the football game on 10/17 (he's a big Pats fan). We're flying in and I want to show him Boston harbor etc. So I need a shuttle or something from the airport to the hotel on Sat and sightsee. Then I'm hoping to take the train to the ballgame then back to the hotel to grab our stuff and back to the airport. Can this be done without me worrying and pulling my hair out :) Any recommendations of a hotel to stay in that's close to the train (or is it subway) line?? Any and all suggestions please ..

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with area selection

Your choices for getting downtown from the airport are subway, regular taxi, and water taxi. The subway is by far the cheapest, and it's easy and pretty quick--the airport is very close to downtown. If you were to choose a hotel served by the water taxi (that is, one that's very close to the harbor) so that you didn't need to take a subway or cab ride from the wharf to your hotel, then I believe the cost for the cab and for the water taxi would be pretty close to the same. (The water taxi is actually cheaper for one person, but you pay per passenger, unlike a regular cab.) If showing your son the harbor is a key for you, then there's certainly no better way to do it than taking the water taxi.

You probably want to be close to South Station for the train to and from Foxboro, and there are a number of hotels that fit that bill and are close to the Harbor, including the Marriott Long Wharf, the Intercontinental, Boston Harbor Hotel, and the Harborside Inn. Also, in the Seaport District of South Boston (sometimes referred to as the Waterfront, but not to be confused with the downtown waterfront between the Financial District and the North End), there are at least two nice, large hotels, the Seaport Hotel and the Westin; these are also served by the water taxis and are convenient to South Station. The Seaport District is generally considered a less desirable location, because it's not as close to most of the principal tourist sites as are other neighborhoods, but personally I feel that this factor is overstressed on this forum. For one thing, it's a very nice and reasonable walk (in good weather) from that area to, say Quincy Market (and you can also get a bus or bus/subway combination to go anywhere you want to without much difficulty); for another, whatever disadvantage there is to staying there is diminished if you're only staying one night.

Be aware that October is an expensive time for hotels in Boston. Many of the ones I mentioned will be very pricey. However, I think the chances of getting a good deal at the Westin or the Seaport through Hotwire or Priceline might not be bad. Good luck.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with area selection

The easiest... look into staying at the Seaport hotel. The Silver Line T goes from the airport to right near the Seaport (World Trade Center) Then take the train from South Station to the Pats game. The Seaport is only a few blocks from South Station too, not real close but you can take the T again if you think it is too far.

www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/patriots/

You can also stay in any of the more touristy areas. You will just have to take a cab or the T again to South Station.

Getting to and from the airport your best bet is usually a cab.

People can give you plenty of other suggestions but it will be helpful to know price range and when your flight is leaving that night. Also there may be some hotel sticker shock this time of year due to "leaf peepers".

Boston
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with area selection

The Patriots train is a commuter rail train and as you know it leaves from South Station. South Station is also served by the Red Line subway line, so even if you don't stay very close to it, it is easily reachable.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with area selection

And the Patriots' special T Train stops at Back Bay Station as well, so hotels in the Copley Square area have access, too.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with area selection

Boston is so small it would probably be easier if you were to find a hotel that sounds reasonable to you and then we could tell you how hard it would be to get to from the airport and to get to and from the train for Foxboro. There are only a few outlying areas that might not be a good choice. Generally speaking what you want to do is a piece of cake.

Edited: 09 September 2010, 22:19
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with area selection

I just popped on Hotwire for you, and I see the InterContinental Boston is available for $194/night. This is for the night of the 16th. I'll also tell you that there's a small chance it could be the Langham Boston, but it's more than likely the IC. They're both within a 10 minute walk from each other anyways.

You'll be a 15 minute walk to Faneuil Hall Marketplace and just another 5-10 minutes to the North End. Wouldn't be a bad area to spend your time in for such a short stay.

South Station is all of a 5 minute walk right on the same street! A little further walk if it's the Langham but no big deal at all.

You could take the Silver Line (bus) from the terminal to South Station for $2 each (not sure how old your son is, but kids 11 and under ride for free). Silver Line will take you to South Station. Or, you can take the water taxi from the dock at the airport right to the dock at the InterContinental. Rountrip water taxi tickets between the airport and the hotel cost $17 each.

If you're interested in this hotel, it's the first one listed on Hotwire. 4.5 star Quincy Market/Financial District hotel with a bunch of amenities including spa.

Edited: 09 September 2010, 23:44
Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with area selection

Thanks so much- I did go thru hotwire and it was the Intercontinental Boston - for 189/night so I think I did well. Now do you think there will be enough time at the end of the game to go back to the hotel by train/subway, grab any carryons or should I just pack really really light and ake it in a backpack to the game? And what would be the best way to get back to the airport??

Thanks again- you guys are great. Oh and 1 more question- my son is 9 and like I said a die hard Brady and the PAts fan ...me- I'm a Ravens fans. I can handle eing bood or even some smack talk but don't want it to scare him. Should I just wear blue that day instaed of purple??

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with area selection

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from South Station, so you can plan on returning to the hotel to pick up your bags. And I think you can safely wear whatever colors you like. Enjoy the game!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with area selection

I doubt you would have any problems since you'll be traveling with your 9 y/o son, but ya never know when you'll run into someone who's had a 12 pack too many. I can tell you that the Kraft family have made Gillette extremely family friendly and have a zero tolerance policy for any BS at the games. The train ride may be a different story, lol. If you don't feel like possibly being heckled on the train then you might want to keep your purple "tucked away" until you get to the stadium. Your call.

Seeing that you secured the InterContinental and it's a mere 4 minute walk from South Station where the train will pull into, I'll assume you won't have to pack anything to bring with you. Just have the hotel hold your bags and get them when you come back. From there, you have 3 choices. A) catch a regular taxi from the hotel to the airport. B) catch a water taxi back to the airport or C) walk back over to South Station and catch the Silver Line to the airport.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with area selection

You guys and ladies are awesome! Thanks :)