We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner for Parent's Weekend

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner for Parent's Weekend

My husband and I will be coming to Boston to take our freshman son to dinner on Friday and Saturday night in October. He's new to Boston so doesn't have any idea where he wants to go.

Any recommendations that are nice, kind of bistro like I think, great food but not to fancy so he'll be comfortable and can relax?

He's in Northeastern so I think we should get out of the Back Bay at least one night.

thanks!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner for Parent's Weekend

Almost anywhere in the North End (Boston's fantastic Little Italy) would be great. But since it is parents' weekend, I would recommend finding a place there that takes reservations (check www.opentable.com) so that you don't spend half your evening waiting on a line. Pick up some cannoli at Mike's (on Hanover Street) for dessert.

Eastern Standard is very popular and has a varied menu.

Edited: 19 September 2010, 05:42
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner for Parent's Weekend

Good ideas by cranky. I also thought of Eastern Standard, but that's in Kenmore Square, pretty close to NEU and the Back Bay. The North End would be great. There's tons of places there. Piccolo Nido, Taranta, or even Panza, if you're looking for decent food at a reasonable price. Grotto in Beacon Hill has a very "Boston" feel to it and is a place I would recommend, Or, one of the very fine South End spots, like the legendary Hamersley's Bistro.

Edited: 19 September 2010, 05:57
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner for Parent's Weekend

Surprised nobody mentioned LaSumma in the North End. That's always been one of the Board's favorites, and it does take reservations.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner for Parent's Weekend

I will be up that weekend too. Sadly the schedule did not have much of interest so we will be off on our own. Move in weekend we hit Eastern Standard as well as the weekend two years back that we visited. It was a 5 dollar cab ride. Everything is easy to get to from NEU. Oh back to Eastern Standard , If there is a 1 PM Red Sox game dine around 1:20 and you can secure a table under the awning and people watch. I love Aquataine for Sat. brunch and dinner. They are located on Tremont, a short cab ride. We loved Trattoria Toscana near Fenway, a very short cab ride. I used www.yelp.com for dining questions. www.yelp.com/biz/trattoria-toscana-boston

I would definitely go to the north end and eat at Neptune for seafood and then Gelatto at Gelatoria.

:)

Edited: 20 September 2010, 11:35
Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner for Parent's Weekend

Brasserie Jo would be a good choice. It's not too far from Northeastern, too.

And yes, you should do one night in the North End, too. Tons of Italian restaurants to choose from and a vibrant neighborhood. Have desert, espresso and a cordial at Cafe Vittoria after dinner.

Edited: 20 September 2010, 14:12
6. Re: Dinner for Parent's Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 05:45